Problem copying & pasting from Excel to a form (1 Viewer)

ukphild

Local time
Today, 10:40
In the mailroom for our university, we are running an Access 2000 app.

For accuracy with some of the complex names we must input from time to time,
the mailroom people copy some cells from a row in the Registrar's Excel 2010 spreadsheet, and paste them into the remarks field ( a large text field ) in an Edit form in Access.

From there, we had hoped to copy individual cells and paste them into the
appropriate fields in the form. This seemed easy since the Copy operation
(in my PC at least) shows the {tab} chars ( as little squares) between the cells,
making it easy to select each "cell's worth".

But, somehow, in their PC, the paste operation removes all the {tabs}, running
all the data together! They are using Windows 7 and Access 2000 SP-3,
and Excel 2010. I am using the exact same version of Access, but in Windows XP Pro SP-3.

I cannot find a related setting in the Access options, and an online search came up
with nothing as well..

Does anyone have a suggestion? I wish I knew of a better way to import
individual record data from Excel, but I do not...

thanks in advance,

Phil

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:10
It is better to organize the data in a separate Worksheet on Excel itself first. Let them Copy the Cells and use Paste Special - - > Paste Links method to organize each record under the appropriate headings on the new worksheet, one record below the other.

This will keep the original data where it is as well as it is available on the new worksheet in the form of a Table. When copy paste-linking is finished, high-light the entire paste-linked table area, copy the data then use Paste-Special - - > Values Option to:

1. Either over-writing the same area, to over-write the linking formula, where it is already highlighted.
or
2. Use a separate sheet to transfer the data without the linking formulas.

You can link this Excel Table to the database. Then copy paste individual fields to their respective fields of the target table/form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom