Citrix based virtual drive Backend table gets deleted when accessed from frontend (1 Viewer)

Guddu

Local time
Today, 01:55
HI

We have a database over Citrix on Company's virtual drive with limited admin permission for Access 2003 version...

it have 37000 records and 90 columns
It's a Split database - backend and frontend.
it's a multi-user database

We don't have any SQL or any kind or server to store backend, its basically normal jet 4 engine based database.

We don't even have command prompt on virtual drive so cant even debug/decompile the database via that route.

Issue is backend table "Main" gets deleted sometimes when accessed from frontend.
I have audit trial function built but its not showing why its been deleted.

I don't have any other way to get to know what is triggering the table deletion in backend.

Can anyone help me with the solution or suggestion, I need to apply to my database ...
Also, any known issue or bug -if you know - let me know how to fix it or get a workaround of it...

Any help will be appreciated..

Manythanks,
Guddu...

Ranman256

Local time
Yesterday, 21:55
This should be impossible. The Frontend cannot delete a backend table.
You can delete the link in the Frontend, not back.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
agree with ranman, shouldn't be possible unless you have code that specifically deletes a table

can you expand on this

Issue is backend table "Main" gets deleted sometimes when accessed from frontend.
is there any pattern to 'sometimes' - number of users for example, does it disappear when the front end is opened or closed, when a specific form is used? Size of the back end - is it approaching 2Gb? Have you compacted?

Also, is there anything to stop someone using access on their machine to open the back end directly and delete the table?

Normally, if using citrix, both front and backend would be located on the server albeit as separate files - is this the case here? And if so, does each user have their own copy of the front end or are they all using the same one? If they are all using the same one, it is possible this is the reason why.

Guddu

Local time
Hi ,
Yes - its on citrix - both the files frontend and backend on Citrix.
All users have seperate frontend on their Citrix shared (my document, which is users profile on Citrix).

Actually its not deleting the table - table is there but the data on the table gets vanished.

I have none code for deleting any record and I have no delete query for any table in my database as well..

I have a bound form (which is related to Main table) Main form...
where I have Allow addition and Allow deletion as "NO"
Front end have all the startup menus - unchecked - so no one can even see the Tools - menu as well on top of frontend to do any changes.

Backend size is 178 MB in total
Frontend size is 12 to 15 MB in total.

number of users - 25 to 30
I have no clue when it triggers - but when I tried a stress test with all users (most users) are able to work on DB

but sometimes its a sudden instance with someone.. with event property
error or something like shown on the error messages on screenshots...

Please advise,
Thanks
Guddu

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 161

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not getting any ideas at the moment, so some more questions:

Does this happen for all users, or can some continue to work. Or is the table definitely cleared of data (ie. recordcount =0) or is it possible the table has been filtered in a way that excludes all records? Although the 'deleted' in the controls suggests the data is gone.

If the data is gone, what do you do? revert to a backup?

Is the main form recordsource just the table name or is it a query? Is it possible the form is being filtered to exclude all records? (again, unlikely but trying to cross off possibilities)

Have you tried compacting the backend?

Have you compacted the front ends?

Are the front ends .mdb or .mde?

Have you tried to track down the event errors you are getting, both appear to relate to a click event and you don't appear to have any error handling

Do you have Option Explicit at the top of all modules and have you compiled the code?

Do your table or field names use reserved words?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom