Error 3044 - isn't a valid path (1 Viewer)

shafara7

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:01
My colleage got an Error message when starting the Databank.
Error 3044: 'O:\...\AccessBE' isn't a Valid Path. Make Sure that the Path Name is Spelled Correctly and that you are Connected to the Server on which the File Resides.

He said that he is working via Home-Office and during opening of the Databank he is not connected to the Network and then connected again.
He uses the Frontend.

What is that Error supposed to mean? I have searched for it but nobody really explain why it happened.
How do I solve it? I saw people said that I have to set the path but I don't really understand how.

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
Today, 13:01
It means that the vba is producing a folder path or file path that doesn't exist. For example, you would get this error if you were working on your office network, then took the database home and tried to run it there. It wouldn't be able to find the network path.

From Wikipedia:
A path, the general form of the name of a file or directory, specifies a unique location in a file system. A path points to a file system location by following the directory tree hierarchy expressed in a string of characters in which path components, separated by a delimiting character, represent each directory.

Folder path: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
File path: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero.theme

shafara7

Registered User.
Local time
Alright. That means there is no rigid solution to it isn't it? Just do not open the database without the network, right?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Alright. That means there is no rigid solution to it isn't it? Just do not open the database without the network, right?

No - just trap for that error - and alert the user with a message

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
Ridders is right - for example:
Code:
If Dir([FilePath]) = vbNullString Then 
MsgBox "Filepath " & [FilePath] & " can't be found."
Exit Sub
End If

shafara7

Registered User.
Local time
I see. Thank you. May I also know where should I paste the code?
Just in case you know where..
Because I am an intern here and I have no access to Home-Office, so I couldn't test the error and debugged it. Also, the colleages are from another location far from here so I can't just peek into his computer.

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
It's a bit tricky. Your colleague is using the Front End from another location, and the error seems to be because the Front End can't locate the Back End (which is on your network).

Presumably the database is shared, so it wouldn't make sense to copy the Back End to your colleague's computer unless your colleague is only using it on a read-only basis. Otherwise any changes made would have to be reconciled with the office Back End.

If it is normal for your staff to work in this way, then I would ask your IT department what the networking arrangements are for those who work from other locations.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
May I also know where should I paste the code?

Suggest you add code to trap for an unconnected network in the Form_Load event of your startup form OR as part of an autoexec macro

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom