Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 06-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #46
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,509 Posts
isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice
Re: Why indexing is important for good performance

When Galaxiom first pointed out that the UK had changed to the US billion a mere 44 years ago without me noticing, I had 2 immediate thoughts:
1. The UK national debt had just got 1000 times smaller! (in my feeble mind)
2. Why did we have to change our perfectly good billion to the inferior US version... but then I realised I risked sounding exactly like my US bashing namesake from Essex so kept quiet (at the time)
Hopefully he won't read a thread like this and then wreck it in his usual way!

Anyway I've got a sesquillion of things to do so will sign off now.
However some may find this thread about the vigintillion (no, me neither) interesting:
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=496171

Web links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #47
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,324 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridders View Post
There are a scintillion of zeroes or one less than in a googleplex
Actually it is a googolplex. (1 followed by a googol of zeros.)

A googol is 10 ^100.

Neither of them are useful numbers as even the googol exceeds the number of quarks in the observable Universe.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiom View Post
Actually it is a googolplex. (1 followed by a googol of zeros.)

A googol is 10 ^100.

Neither of them are useful numbers as even the googol exceeds the number of quarks in the observable Universe.
Right - that's the last time I trust the Doc with anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
How many zeroes follow the 1 for that "gazillion" again? Is it bigger than a googleplex?
P.S. Do they spell zeroes without the second 'e' in Oz?
P.P.S. And of course, before anyone else joins in, I deliberately used a scintillion. There's no such number.

Web links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #49
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

An old joke from the days of GW Bush as President (and maybe older).
---------
The President was informed that two Brazilian soldiers were killed in a joint operation.

Dubya was beside himself and the advisor asked why he so disturbed.

"Why? How many is a brazillion?.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #50
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridders View Post
P.S. Do they spell zeroes without the second 'e' in Oz?
Yes. I believe zeros is normal usage in Australia. My browser and Word spell checker accept both.

There is quite a dispute about correct usage on this page and one poster claims that both are used and accepted in UK.

Another claims that "zeroes" is not the plural usage but a tense of the verb "to zero" as in "zeroes in on a target". Anyone know the what that tense would be called?

Quote:
P.P.S. And of course, before anyone else joins in, I deliberately used a scintillion. There's no such number.
But it is a French word, being both the first-person plural imperfect indicative and first-person plural present subjunctive of scintiller.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 AM   #51
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Yes. I believe zeros is normal usage in Australia. My browser and Word spell checker accept both.

...and one poster claims that both are used and accepted in UK.
Interesting that the OED says zeroes is the only correct spelling in the UK even though other sources disagree

Quote:
Another claims that "zeroes" is not the plural usage but a tense of the verb "to zero" as in "zeroes in on a target". Anyone know the what that tense would be called?
Its the third-person singular simple present indicative form of zero.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/verb
Quote:
It is often said that there is no noun in English that can't be verbed

Any English noun can be verbed, but some are more resistant than others
Ugh ... 'verbed'

Before I used scintillion as a convincing sounding number, I confess to double checking it wasn't a real but obscure number (like vigintillion)
Quote:
But it is a French word, being both the first-person plural imperfect indicative and first-person plural present subjunctive of scintiller.
Because I trust you totally I didn't have a scintilla of doubt that this would be true but having also found it on Wikipedia I can authoritatively state that scintillion means 'to sparkle or twinkle' which explains the likely derivation of the common word scintillation

BTW apologies to CJ_London for taking this thread far from its original purpose

Web links:

Colin
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #52
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,241 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice

No problem It gives me something to read whilst lying on top of scintillion grains of sand under a heat source a few million plus miles away - or perhaps that should be googolplex of mm. I知 not however lying under a Brazilian of any kind

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #53
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
No problem It gives me something to read whilst lying on top of scintillion grains of sand under a heat source a few million plus miles away - or perhaps that should be googolplex of mm. I知 not however lying under a Brazilian of any kind
What ... ANOTHER holiday?
And to think you used 'work commitments' as an excuse to drop out of a lengthy thread suffering from mission creep at another forum. Ha!
Of course you haven't said whether you're lying on top of a Brazilian

Perhaps the Sun is more like a googolplex of attometres from Earth but even then only a small fraction of one. I'm sure Greg can give us the answer to that.

Web links:

Colin
Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 AM   #54
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,346 Times in 3,241 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice

I didn稚 say when I would be reading the thread!! But as it happens I depart Saturday and I知 frantically trying to clear my desk -clients have suddenly cottoned on I知 not around for a week or so and some things must be in and tested before I go....
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:47 AM   #55
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,052 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Back when I was knee-high to a short duck, we learned in school that any word ending in a single "O" was made plural by adding "ES." So that's why I used it. I have become aware of many of those old school rules becoming obsolete. And yes, I am an "old school" kind of guy, in case anyone doubted. Given my age, it's hard for me to be anything else.

But at least I learned a little bit about Access over 20 years ago. I might have been an old dog, but I learned a few new tricks. It was only after I got married that I started to learn basic tricks, though. Tricks like "Fetch" and "Beg" and "Roll over."
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:57 AM   #56
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
I didn稚 say when I would be reading the thread!! But as it happens I depart Saturday and I知 frantically trying to clear my desk -clients have suddenly cottoned on I知 not around for a week or so and some things must be in and tested before I go....
Have a great holiday CJL wherever you're off to.

Web links:

Colin
Old 06-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #57
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I知 not however lying under a Brazilian of any kind
At least your not talking about GETTING a Brazilian...
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #58
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

Are you sure about "es"

potatos, tomatos, zeros.

I would add just "s", rather than "es"

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the top right of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #59
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

@ Dave,

Take it as the difference between "Zee" and "Zed", "Color" and "Colour", or "Rebel Scum" and "Patriot".
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #60
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

A video for those of us who don’t like to read!

https://youtu.be/wLKd24QMwTI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: