Report with TOC/Hyperlinks (1 Viewer)

JMichaelM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:59
Very Happy Friday! I got some incredible support and guidance the past few weeks which was great in terms of motivation and helped lead me to very productive results. With that in mind, I am grateful and was able to create a very useful report containing about 6 reports all with charts etc. which comes out to about 40 pages in a pdf or so. What I'd like to do is create links at the beginning of the report which the reader/viewer can link to the specific report within the pdf.

Synopsis:
-Cover
-10 Reports seperated with page break when onto pdf

Potential Solution:

-Cover
-TOC with Hyperlinks to the beginning of each report in complete pdf.

My question is how I would tactically go about this in a way which is non-manual and automated?

Their may be a solution someone has already utilized which may save me considerable time or someone may have some experience on how to approach this solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:59
Found this on the net. Below is the link to the article along with a copy paste of the article. Hope this helps
from technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159823(v=sql.100).aspx

How to: Add a Bookmark to a Report (Reporting Services)
Add bookmarks and bookmark links to a report when you want to provide a customized table of contents or to provide customized internal navigation links in the report. Typically, you add bookmarks to locations in the report to which you want to direct users, such as to each table or chart or to the unique group values displayed in a table or matrix. You can create your own strings to use as bookmarks, or, for groups, you can set the bookmark to the group expression.

After you create bookmarks, you can add report items that the user can click to go to each bookmark. These items are typically text boxes or images.

For example, if your report displays a table grouped by color, you would add a bookmark based on the group expression to the group header. Then you would add a table with a single text box at the beginning of the report that displayed the color values, and set the bookmark link on that text box. When you click the color, the report jumps to the page that displays the group header row for that color.

You can add a bookmark to any report item and add a bookmark link to any item that has an Action property, for example, a text box, an image, or a calculated series in a chart. For more information, see the Action page topics in Report Designer F1 Help.

To add a bookmark
In Design view,select the text box, image, chart, or other report item to which you want to add a bookmark. The properties for the selected item appear in the Properties pane.

NoteNote
If y the Properties pane is not visible, click Properties Window on the View menu.

In the text box next to Bookmark, type a string that is the label for this bookmark. Alternatively, click the expression (fx) button to open the Expression dialog box to specify an expression that evaluates to a label. For a group, the expression you type should be the group expression.

NoteNote
The bookmark can be any string, but it must be unique in the report. If the bookmark is not unique, a link to the bookmark finds the first matching bookmark.

To add a bookmark link
In Design view, right-click the text box, image, chart, to which you want to add a link and then click Properties.

In The Properties dialog box for that report item, click Action.

Select Go to bookmark. An additional section appears in the dialog box for this option.

In the Select bookmark box, type or select a bookmark or an expression that evaluates to a bookmark.

Click OK.

To test the link, run the report and click the report item that you set this link on. For text boxes, it is helpful to change the color and effect if the text to indicate to the user that the text is a link. For example, change the color to blue and the effect to underline by setting the Font properties in the Text Box Properties dialog box.

JMichaelM

Registered User.
Local time
This to save a $400 Adobe Acrobat license. Thanks for the info.

JMichaelM

Registered User.
Local time
No Worries. I actually have SSRS installed and wanted to start using it. Do you know if it is difficult?

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
I have no clue. I just did a search for ms access report bookmarks and that was the first thing to pop up.

HimAgain

Registered User.
Local time
Ok How about this. For your TOC in the report header, make each link a button (make the button flat or what not if you want it to look just like text). Then make an on click event to set focus to the first control in each form you want to link to.

Code:
Private Sub rep_link_1_Click()
rep1_txt.SetFocus
End Sub

See if something like this can work for you.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:59
Going back to the first post, AFAIK you have to purchase the full version of Acrobat to merge multiple PDF files into one file...and that is expensive.

I am not aware of any alternatives to Acrobat that can do this at a lower cost but its worth researching this yourself.

Whilst you could export the reports to Word, merge them and then convert to PDF...the Word version of your reports will almost certainly look awful.

Can you instead use multiple subreports to create one report containing all your info and then export as one PDF? Or is this what you already have? You could include a TOC of some kind as part of the overall report though I'm not sure how to automate that.

If not, I would do as I have done in the past and export all reports as separate PDFs prefixed by a number indicating the reading order, zip them and email with the zip file as attachment. This was largely automated and worked well. I haven't done this for a few years but if it looks useful, I can check how I used to do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom