Trying to Create Searchable Table (1 Viewer)

judicious1

Local time
Today, 07:12
Hello all! I am trying to create a searchable table in order to filter results of records in the database. I would like to get it to where I have a scrollable form and can enter any of the text fields at the top of the page and it generates a list of all of those items pertaining to that text field.

I have attached a picture so maybe it will help?

What I have currently is just a split form created from the "More Forms" nav button based on the primary datasheet. What I don't want to happen is have the datasheet be manipulated by the form, but purely use it as basically a "filter" of sorts. The main item that I will need to be able to access from this filter is the attachment to the record. Again I don't want to manipulate the attachment or any other information, just want to be able to find and view the attachment. I have been searching on this topic for days and can't find the right terms to find what I'm looking for. :banghead:

I appreciate all of your input!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2_LI.jpg
    Screenshot_2_LI.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 51

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:12
I would have a read / download of Allen Brownes excellent example of a search form here http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

It uses a number of neat methods to search and display data that would fit your requirements.

judicious1

Local time
I read through it and have the table, however I can't open the attachments from the list. It is just showing me a 1 instead of a link to the file. Also, I can't get the filter button to work. :(

judicious1

Local time
Okay so I don't know if this is the right place for this redirect or not...I am REALLY new at MS Access and am trying to figure all of this out. It seems as though I may have really messed up. While Googling my heart away to fix the current issue, I stumbled upon another unnerving fact that I want to see is true or not.

Everything that I have read says that Access is limited to 2 GB per file. :banghead: If this is correct :banghead: I am going to have to create separate files for each "project" that we have going on, because the files with the attachments are getting extremely large. To date I have about 30% of the files entered into the database and I am already at 1.1 GB.

WTS, I am wondering if I could split the files into separate databases and have one central "governing" database so to speak, that will "manage" or "search" all of the separate "project" databases in one location once all of the information is entered in. I have already separated the files and linked them together, and am at a theoretical wall now because I have no clue of what to do next to get where I am going. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions or maybe even a better solution than Access that I can dabble into, I am open for anything at this point.

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 22:12
Okay so I don't know if this is the right place for this redirect or not...I am REALLY new at MS Access and am trying to figure all of this out. It seems as though I may have really messed up. While Googling my heart away to fix the current issue, I stumbled upon another unnerving fact that I want to see is true or not.

Everything that I have read says that Access is limited to 2 GB per file. :banghead: If this is correct :banghead: I am going to have to create separate files for each "project" that we have going on, because the files with the attachments are getting extremely large. To date I have about 30% of the files entered into the database and I am already at 1.1 GB.

WTS, I am wondering if I could split the files into separate databases and have one central "governing" database so to speak, that will "manage" or "search" all of the separate "project" databases in one location once all of the information is entered in. I have already separated the files and linked them together, and am at a theoretical wall now because I have no clue of what to do next to get where I am going. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

If anyone has any suggestions or maybe even a better solution than Access that I can dabble into, I am open for anything at this point.

Do not store the attachments within the database, that is, the tables. Yes, I know you can, but don't.

In your tables create a field (text field) that corresponds to the file location of your attachment.

This is the approach I have taken with one of my apps and it works a treat. Issues you have to consider are, where are the attachments stored. If they are accessed in their original location you will have potential problems of missing links, files not found type errors. To alleviate this issue, create a folder system relative to where your backend access file resides. When attachments are recorded, those files are copied to your 'access backend' location. It's not error proof, but if it's set away from normal prying eyes that reduces the missing files problem somewhat. Also, if doing this, you do not need to record the full path, only the path relative to your backend file. If your backend file is moved (as a folder) all file links will be retained.

Some food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom