Adding a conditional merge field (1 Viewer)

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
I'm using Word2003, embedded in the fundraising database Raiser's Edge (I know, I know - ::shudders::).

I am trying to formulate a field (I tried with a Word If...then...else field but I couldn't get it to work) that would conditionally insert a mail merge field (email address) if one of the other address fields was blank.

The problem is that the Word field if...then...else seems to only support plain text insertions. I tried editing the 'then' portion of the field after insertion with { MERGEFIELD email_address } in various forms, but I couldn't get it to work.

Any help would be welcome.

Larry

Local time
Today, 08:38
Found your post while having similar issues. I found a workaround that works great for me. Just run the "If...Then...Else" wizard and put everything you want in it except the { MERGEFIELD email_address } part (use placeholder text in the "Insert this text" box to make it easy to find :))

Then show the sourcecode in the word document (Alt+F9)

Then insert the { MERGEFIELD email_address } field using the typical method of clicking on "Insert Field" on the ribbon.

I couldn't find a difference between my manual coding and the coding MSWord made, but theirs worked ?!?!?!?! So give it a try and see if it helps.

Larry

PS I had to refresh the merge to see the effect of this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom