Scheduled Macro Errors (1 Viewer)

twilbour

Local time
Today, 11:07
I'm pretty much a novice. I've built a couple of databases that I use for reporting, and they gather data from some of our internal systems via passthru queries. I also import some excel data. (All of which I've figured out on my own with the help of this forum!)

I've set up a few macros to run the data pulls and normalization procedures overnight. I'm using the Windows Scheduler to run the macros. Needless to say, sometimes, the macros fail for whatever reason (usually timeouts on the passthru queries - even though I've maxed out the timeout interval it still happens), and I don't know that unless I go check the database each day.

Is there a way to get an email or message or something if the macro errors? I've figured out that the Windows Scheduler log won't tell me, as it doesn't monitor what happens after the macro is launched.

I was thinking about putting in some sort of "if error" option in the macro itself, that might run an email or something, but I can't find any info on how to do that.

I also read where it might make more sense to put the commands to execute the macros and imports into a batch file and have the scheduler run the batch file. Then - maybe? - the scheduler will know that there was an error and I can send an email based on entry in the log?

Also - all this happens on a Server, so I'd like to use an SMTP email instead of an Outlook email.

I looked for some automation tools, but everything I found was REALLY expensive, and this application can't justify that kind of expense.

Ideas??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom