Need to Share access 2007 database on team-site (1 Viewer)

Manu1986

Local time
Today, 06:10
Hello
I have created an access 2007 database for a team which has app-like features. It consists of a home screen and two main search screens - from which users can generate reports.
I came to know they intend to share within their team located across multiple locations through their team-site.
1. Can the database be directly uploaded to a directory in their sharepoint site?
2. How does the database behave when shared?
3. will the tables get locked when multiple users open the database at the same time?
4. There are few forms through which users can enter data into the tables. I need to give access to only few users to them. How can I achieve this?

I am quite new to access and this is my first project. I was not aware as how this was going to be used when I started this. Now I need to give the installation procedure to the team. Kindly excuse if they are very basic questions. Please let me know how I can go about this.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:40
1. you may be able to load the backend to sharepoint, but don't think you can do anything with it once there. You would need to convert your tables to sharepoint lists, then you can link the front end to these lists nstead of the access backend.

Note each user will need a copy of the front end on their machine - users should not share the front end - that way lies the risk of corruption.

2. it should behave the same way (subject to any limitations in using lists rather than tables)
3. locking is usually done at the record level - see settings in file>options
4. by having a user login process, then in your navigation form hiding or disabling the method of opening those forms. Also ensure users do not have access to the navigation pane and ribbon. Plenty of threads on that subject on this and other forums

Manu1986

Local time
Today, 06:10
Thanks for your reply. Couple of queries related to it:
1. Do i need to split the database and export the back-end to sharepoint?
If individual users have the local copies of front end, how will that connect to the back-end? How do data manipulations in the sharepoint get reflected?
2. Should I create new navigation forms related to sharepoint lists? Will the current look and feel remain after that?
3. The access control for individual users is available in Access 2003. Is there any way I can do that in 2007(create user - access table) using vba?
Kindly point me to the correct links.
Thanks a ton for your help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:40
1. Do i need to split the database and export the back-end to sharepoint?
number one and biggest rule is that access should be split if you have multiple users. So yes

If individual users have the local copies of front end, how will that connect to the back-end?
you link the tables - investigate the table linking manager on the external data tab

How do data manipulations in the sharepoint get reflected?
in the same way as tables - but not sure about record level locking

Should I create new navigation forms related to sharepoint lists? Will the current look and feel remain after that?
no to new navigation forms, but you may need to make some small changes to those forms

The access control for individual users is available in Access 2003. Is there any way I can do that in 2007(create user - access table) using vba?
Kindly point me to the correct links.
If you are referring to the .mdw I don't believe that will work with sharepoint, you will need to write your own. I haven't used 2003 for 10+ years

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom