Modified AutoNumber in Query affects Printing of Report (1 Viewer)

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:43
Please forgive me as I am not an expert in maintain Access databases.

I built a very simple database for a family member's company to track jobs (Job Number is an AutoNumber), clients and contacts.

With the new year, I modified the Job Number, but now it is affecting my ability to print job reports. When I click print preview, no data is showing despite the data showing in my form.

Assuming I need to update the report in Design View, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:43
Please forgive me as I am not an expert in maintain Access databases.

I built a very simple database for a family member's company to track jobs (Job Number is an AutoNumber), clients and contacts.

With the new year, I modified the Job Number, but now it is affecting my ability to print job reports. When I click print preview, no data is showing despite the data showing in my form.

Assuming I need to update the report in Design View, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

You say the Job Number is an autonumber field.
How exactly did you alter it for the new year... and why?

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
I went to the query > Design View > then changed the number I had in the Field section from 17000 to 18000. The 17000 set of numbers was used for 2017 jobs. Jobs in 2018 shall begin with 18001.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Then it isn't an autonumber field as by definition the numbering is done automatically.

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
I just checked the table I created for jobs in Design View. The Job Number field is AutoNumber.

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
To be a little bit more specific on the issue I'm having:

The Job Report has 3 sections:

-Client information
-Contact information
-Job Details

When I click my Print Job button, the Client Information section appears in my Print Preview, but with no data in those fields. The Contacts and Job Details sections do not appear in the Print Preview at all.

This was not an issue until I changed the Job Number from the 17000 range to 18000.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry but I'm completely befuddled by all of this
Can you post a stripped down copy of your db with this report and the underlying tables, queries, form related to it.

Obviously alter any confidential data first.

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
The database is attached. This is the version prior to making any changes to the Job Number via the Modify AutoNumber query. Again, all I did was go to the Modify AutoNumber query and change the number is the Field from 17001 to 18000.

Attachments

• CTG Live Data - EDITING COMPLETE.accdb
    900 KB · Views: 67

rmrufe

Registered User.
Local time
I believe I resolved my own issue. When selecting Contact Name in the Associated Jobs section, it did not match the contact name in the Associated Contacts section, which is why it wasn't printing correctly. I made sure the Contact Name matched the name in the Associated Contacts and it worked.

Thanks so much for your time, Colin. I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I didn't see your response before posting this
Suggest you have a look at my changes anyway

----------------------------------------------------

OK I've made a few changes including:
a) Modified the Job report query to use an outer join between Contacts & Jobs.
So if you have a client with contact details but no jobs you still get a record
b) deleted an empty record in the Client table
c) Changed the record source of each report to be based on the table & not the query

I believe it all now works correctly
Also that the Job Number being changed was irrelevant
However your method of updating an autonumber field is IMO a bad mistake

Attachments

• CTG Live Data - EDITING COMPLETE - CR.accdb
    756 KB · Views: 61

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Yesterday, 23:43
Several things to avoid issues in the future...
1) Each table should have a primary key and I would STRONGLY recommend they be numeric and autonumber. These will ONLY be used for internal reference and would not be user visible.
2) You links are not normalized.
3) Look into data normalization. Phone, Ext, Phone 2, ext 2, fax, and Email should all be child records to your contact.
4) Remove spaces and non alpha/numeric characters from your field names. Will help avoid issues in the future.

For your "Job number", I'd recommend using an actual autonumber field. If your family member's company really really really wants to have date in there, just put the four digit year at the beginning. Trying to make compound numbers is doable but is often not worth the hassle.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have more than one thread active on this topic. Please don't waste our time by creating multiple threads - or - at least provide a link to the other thread.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Who knew? Looks like they both got the same bad advice regarding modifying the display of the autonumber. Thanks for finding the other post. Now rmrufe can benefit from seing the other advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom