Drop down menus (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:08
I can't get my head round the following!
I'm developing a small database that has to have the look and feel of microsoft. So has drop down menus (when you click on them) where you can select what you want to do. Once selected I need to create a TAB with the given selection. The drop down menus should still be visible.
Also , like in word, if you click on one of the menu items and then move cursor to the next then that automatically drops down.
I'm not sure how to go about this. Maybe stayed up to late last night!

I'm using access 2016

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:08
I suspect that myself, and the other 40 members that viewed your post but didn't respond, have the same problem, not being able to get our heads around it!

The dropping down of the Comboboxes, can be easily done, with code like this:
Code:
Private Sub ComboboxName_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
  ComboboxName.SetFocus
  ComboboxName.Dropdown
End Sub

Have no idea what you mean by " I need to create a TAB with the given selection."

What are these selections...Forms...Queries...what?

And what do you mean by 'creating a Tab?' Have never heard of dynamically creating
a Tab Control.

Linq ;0)>

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I got befuddled with:
that has to have the look and feel of microsoft

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
I suspect that myself, and the other 40 members that viewed your post but didn't respond, have the same problem, not being able to get our heads around it!

The dropping down of the Comboboxes, can be easily done, with code like this:
Code:
Private Sub ComboboxName_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
  ComboboxName.SetFocus
  ComboboxName.Dropdown
End Sub

Have no idea what you mean by " I need to create a TAB with the given selection."

What are these selections...Forms...Queries...what?

And what do you mean by 'creating a Tab?' Have never heard of dynamically creating
a Tab Control.

Linq ;0)>

I'm lazy at explaining things.If you take word for example and click of "File" and then select a file that has already been opened it will open the document in the window below. If you dothe same again for a different document you get the 2nd document open.You can then use the Window menu to navigate between documents. Rather than the latter I'd like the 2 documents tohave Tabs (is that the right word) so I can click on the tab to go betwen documents.

Is that clearer?
So in my system for example there is a Files menu but it will display things such as Customers Suppliers etc.

Also in things such as Word I can use keyboard shortcuts - I presume I can do similar in Access?

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
I got befuddled with:

Aye!!
My client wants his new system to be similar to Word and Excel.with the navigation. So he wants menus such as you have in Word/Excel (File, View, Window,Help etc) together with the keyboard shortcuts.

Is that less befuddling?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
So you are building a database in Access and it should have the Access menus...Sounds easy enough....:D

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
So you are building a database in Access and it should have the Access menus...Sounds easy enough....:D

Yes, yes and no if you specifically mean File, Home, Create, External Data, Database tools

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes, yes and no if you specifically mean File, Home, Create, External Data, Database tools

Why is that hard ... those menus are listed by default without you doing anything!
Or you can choose SHORT menus....where you only get File, Home
OR you can add extra menu items ...using ribbon code (which is harder!)

Am I missing something here?

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Why is that hard ... those menus are listed by default without you doing anything!
Or you can choose SHORT menus....where you only get File, Home
OR you can add extra menu items ...using ribbon code (which is harder!)

Am I missing something here?

One of us may be! Probably me!

Best if I describe what my system will do.
OK Along the top of the form, if you like, I want to display File, Reports, Sales, Purchases.

If I click on File I want a drop down menu with say Customers, Items, Prices etc. If I click on one of those I'll get the appropiate form displaying Customers, Items or Prices. Now I can do this with a Combo box and the open the appropriate form. I want to create a "Tab" with this form in. I want the ability then to select another drop down menu.For example click on reports and get a list of available reports. Selecting one of these another "tab" is created with the appropriate report in it. I now have a screen where I can "jump" between the "tabs" or select something further from one of the drop down menus.
I've found something similar to what I'm after from https://www.databasejournal.com/fea...1/Make-Access-Command-Buttons-Work-Harder.htm but this was written for access 2003 and I've no idea where the things are in 2016.

This any clearer?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
One of us may be! Probably me!

Best if I describe what my system will do.
OK Along the top of the form, if you like, I want to display File, Reports, Sales, Purchases.

If I click on File I want a drop down menu with say Customers, Items, Prices etc. If I click on one of those I'll get the appropiate form displaying Customers, Items or Prices. Now I can do this with a Combo box and the open the appropriate form. I want to create a "Tab" with this form in. I want the ability then to select another drop down menu.For example click on reports and get a list of available reports. Selecting one of these another "tab" is created with the appropriate report in it. I now have a screen where I can "jump" between the "tabs" or select something further from one of the drop down menus.
I've found something similar to what I'm after from https://www.databasejournal.com/fea...1/Make-Access-Command-Buttons-Work-Harder.htm but this was written for access 2003 and I've no idea where the things are in 2016.

This any clearer?

Possibly ... just nothing like I thought you meant

1. If you are are describing the Access application menu items, the old command bars shown in the link disappeared with Access 2007 & were replaced by the ribbon. You can add your own custom ribbon items but its not easy - suggest using a utility like IDBE Ribbon Creator.

2. The right click context menu can be edited - do a forum search for ideas

3. If you want to have a form with various items along the top, you may mean a tabbed form

4. It is possible to get a list of forms, reports etc and view them from a form
The attached video shows one that I created some years ago

In that example, each item opens in its own window but its also possible to use a web browser control to open them within the same form

Am I close yet? I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

Attachments

• DatabaseObjects.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Acropolis

Registered User.
Local time
Do you mean something along the lines, if you select one of the options in say "File" that will open a sub menu for different options up in there?

if that's what you are looking to achieve, you would be much better to do it with a custom ribbon, this is what i have done on mine to do it with a form would be pretty tricky and also have to have the same layout on every form, and if you change something then you would have to change on everything.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Do you mean something along the lines, if you select one of the options in say "File" that will open a sub menu for different options up in there?

if that's what you are looking to achieve, you would be much better to do it with a custom ribbon, this is what i have done on mine to do it with a form would be pretty tricky and also have to have the same layout on every form, and if you change something then you would have to change on everything.
Yes I do, I think(!). Thanks I'll have a look at the ribbon

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Possibly ... just nothing like I thought you meant

1. If you are are describing the Access application menu items, the old command bars shown in the link disappeared with Access 2007 & were replaced by the ribbon. You can add your own custom ribbon items but its not easy - suggest using a utility like IDBE Ribbon Creator.

2. The right click context menu can be edited - do a forum search for ideas

3. If you want to have a form with various items along the top, you may mean a tabbed form

4. It is possible to get a list of forms, reports etc and view them from a form
The attached video shows one that I created some years ago

In that example, each item opens in its own window but its also possible to use a web browser control to open them within the same form

Am I close yet? I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!
1. NO I don't think I mean that
2. OK
3. OK - I'll google that as well
4. OK I'll take a look

I'll add a picture of what I'm after.
So in the example you can see the menu options File, Reports, Sales etc through to Help. If you click on one of these a sub menu is displayed. In the example Warehouse has been chosen. You can then click on one of the sub menu options and a Tab is created. In my example there are already 2 tabs. One is Items which happened to be an option on the "File" menu,and the other is called Documents (Albaran Venta). Each tab can hen have buttons on. The one displayed has New Delete Edit Refresh and Print. You can click between the Tabs or close them. Can I do something similar that looks like this in access?

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 57

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:08
What you need to look up is OFFICE context menus, not specifically Access menus. I believe there are ways to create custom right-click menus. I've never done it but I've seen some articles that suggest it is possible.

I'm saying it that way because the ability came into existence at the same time that the ribbon replaced the menu bar and icon bar. The ability was moved to become an Office feature so that people could, if needed, customize ANY Office utility.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
What you need to look up is OFFICE context menus, not specifically Access menus. I believe there are ways to create custom right-click menus. I've never done it but I've seen some articles that suggest it is possible.

I'm saying it that way because the ability came into existence at the same time that the ribbon replaced the menu bar and icon bar. The ability was moved to become an Office feature so that people could, if needed, customize ANY Office utility.
OK but I don't want to customise Access itself, I want to develop a system that mimics the example I've shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom