Anyone here do magic (card, coin, ...)? (1 Viewer)

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:38
Anyone here do magic? I recently decided to try to learn some card tricks. Still haven't learned how to the beginner moves, but I'm familiar with some of them.

Would love to learn some cardistry but don't know if I have the determination for that.

Just curious if anyone else here knows or is learning magic.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:38
My wife is quite the magician. She can make money disappear. Still working on the making it reappear bit...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Cosmos75, there's a blast from the past name! Nice to see you still around the forum.

I've always had a keen interest in magic. I used to practice for days as a kid, but I grew up. I have been thinking about getting back into it though, if only for random tricks with strangers.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 01:38
Learned a very fun one from my mom.

Take a deck of cards. Ask someone to choose a card.
Shuffle the deck.
Hand it to someone else, ask THEM to shuffle.
Take the deck back. Draw a random card.

Look at the card. Ask the person "What was your card?"
If they DON'T say the same thing as what you are holding, say "WRONG!!!"
If they do, well, you got lucky and no one will be able to figure out HOW you did it!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Back when I was a teen, I did, but that was 30 years ago. Afraid I don't remember many of the tricks any more.

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
Cosmos75, there's a blast from the past name! Nice to see you still around the forum.

I've always had a keen interest in magic. I used to practice for days as a kid, but I grew up. I have been thinking about getting back into it though, if only for random tricks with strangers.
Wow, someone remembers me! :D

Yeah, I've been poking my head in a few times recently. Started working on stuff using Access.

I just decided it might be nice to learn some magic. Always wanted to know how card stuff was done. Though it's maddening frustrating trying to learn the moves. Still gives me a new challenge to try an learn something completely foreign to me.

Vassago

Local time
Get a huge mirror and practice... repeatedly.

The only other magic cards I used were "The Gathering" variety. I still have all of my early 90s cards. Haven't actually played this century that I can recall.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Ugh. I sold all mine in 98, including betas of the Power 9, 4 beta counterspells, beta dual lands, and things like black-bordered mana drains, Juzam Djiinni, etc.

Still hurts to think about.

It paid for a couple months' rent then...would pay for a house now.

Vassago

Local time
Ugh. I sold all mine in 98, including betas of the Power 9, 4 beta counterspells, beta dual lands, and things like black-bordered mana drains, Juzam Djiinni, etc.

Still hurts to think about.

It paid for a couple months' rent then...would pay for a house now.

Are they worth that much now? I may need to investigate this...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Some of the old MTG cards and some of the really rare ones go for $1K per pop (rounded off a bit). Others, if old enough, are good for a few hundred. When you have a collection in volume, they become quite valuable.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Beta Power Nine (which are what I had) can be worth thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in good or better condition. A beta Black Lotus sold a few years ago for over $27,000. I believe the current 'official' price for a near-mint one is currently roughly $14,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom