Linked Table with Links to PDFs (1 Viewer)

Jul

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:28
I have a linked table in my access database, that is an excel file with built in links to PDF's by item. In my access database, I created a form where I select the item number and it opens that item in the table so I can click on the link to the PDF for that item. However, the links won't work. They work great in excel and any other program, but from access they don't work. What am I missing? Is there a way to fix this? I can't just tell it a specific adobe to open because at my facility, there are all sorts of versions of adobe based on people's roles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:28
Not sure whether this solution will work for you, it works for me because I use a Chrome browser and Chrome displays PDFs...

Create a Form based on the linked table (linked to the spreadsheet) --- For the textbox displaying the URL, add the following code (modified to suit your situation of course) to the double click event of the text box:-

Code:
Private Sub Field2_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
	Application.FollowHyperlink Me.Field2, , True
End Sub

'You will also need to change your URL to the following:-

file:///C:/Users/Downloads/DrivingLicence_20115645.pdf

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
access will if the field is a hyperlink datatype. My guess is because it is linked it is being treated as text (open the linked table in design view and see what the datatype is), so you will need some code along the lines suggested by Unc G or alternatively try replacing the textbox with a hyperlink control.

Jul

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you! I will give it a try. One question I have though, I have a pop up form, right now where we can select the brand # and it filters my data table that contains the link to just that brand. Do I need a different form rather than the table? I was hoping I could have it open to the table like it does now and then the link would just open the PDF.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
not sure I quite understand but providing you are opening a form, you can change the controltype to hyperlink. You can make a form look like a table by using the datasheet view

Jul

Registered User.
Local time
I'm sorry for the confusion. Attached is a couple screen shots of what I have right now. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Operator view.docx
    42.5 KB · Views: 92

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
looks like you are opening a query, not a form.

make a form for the query and use that instead

Jul

Registered User.
Local time
It worked! Thank you so much for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom