Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Visual Basic

Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,569 Posts
isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice
Re: VBA, I desperately need help.

Jdraw beat me to it ....

In the meantime:
Attached are 3 screenshots from a fairly complex example where a list of students (from a fictitious school) can be filtered by any / all of 12 combo boxes.
Firstly unfiltered, then 3 filters added & finally 6 filters added reducing the list each time.
Is this something like you need ... or irrelevant?

It also has some additional features which you may not need such as sorting by any column and colour formatting for filtered columns

As for tutorials, I often recommend the complete courses of video tutorials by either Steve Bishop or Richard Rost. Both freely available on You Tube & cover everything from beginners through to highly advanced. Its personal preference which ones are better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unfiltered.jpg (105.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3 filters added.jpg (104.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png 6 filters added.PNG (54.4 KB, 8 views)

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
Dangerous (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #17
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Dangerous is on a distinguished road

It's all become irrelevant, after much searching and trying I almost got it working then I found out it is very difficult to lock a user out of having access to the ribbon etc.

It seems that while you can hide things, add passwords, encrypt etc. some things are still accessible to a user with average knowledge unless you really go to town on it and it isn't worth it for me.

Other databases I've set up in the past made it easy to lock the user out of design mode etc. yet easy for me to unlock & make required changes.

I've also found a better way to deal with the problem I had trying to automate the process of copying data from one field to another on data entry.

Thanks all who have tried to help, No doubt I will need some in the not to distant future and to me VBA syntax/commands don't make sense.
Dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #18
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,824 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

I've also found a better way to deal with the problem I had trying to automate the process of copying data from one field to another on data entry.

Perhaps you would like to share your "better way" with the rest of us. That's sort of what the forum is about/encourages. We can all learn.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice

Whoa!
Its not at all difficult to prevent users having access to the ribbon, navigation pane or even the application window. For example, all have been removed from this example app:

See the app in example databases area: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=293584
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SetWindows.jpg (98.0 KB, 32 views)

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 10-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Thanks Isladogs. That looks good but for now I wouldn't be able to use it, I need all the data from only one record on the screen and would move to the next record as required although things may evolve as the database grows.

I have 48 records in at the moment and each time I add more I come up with improvements to make & different Ideas of how to display them. It's still very much 'work in progress' I do like the 'photo button (I'm using a fixed sized attachment display), How do you assign to a button?
The 'click column to sort may also be handy if I need data in rows in the future.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #21
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraw View Post

Perhaps you would like to share your "better way" with the rest of us. That's sort of what the forum is about/encourages. We can all learn.
You probably know it already https://accessworld-accessworld.netd...lies/smile.gif but what I was trying to do was display 2 of more fields (using a 'lookup box' from a relational table on the same form as all the data from the main table. It would only pick one field. I though I would have to have 2 or more fields in the main table but didn't work & I couldn't combine them . Found that I could add the same field 2 or more times on the form & bind each to a different field in the relational table. Works fine (probably a better way still lol).
Old 10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

All the info said it needed so many settings changed to hide things but none were secure in 2007.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #23
isladogs
Part time moderator

EDIT:
You seem to be posting multiple answers and flitting from one subject to another.
Suggest you take one thing at a time rather than try to build Rome in a day

Reply to post #20:
That's only an example of a main menu screen to prove a point.
You can of course show the built in navigation buttons at the bottom of a form (or provide your own).

The screenshot was just to show that you can hide everything you don't want users to access using suitable code.
It is true that there are other databases such as SQL Server that are more secure than Access but you can lock Access down so it is very difficult for all but the most determined hackers to break into

The camera button opens a miniature form showing that student's photo. The images are stored as external files & the path is stored in Access linked to the student ID

The code I use is fairly old and there are now other ways of doing this:
The MS site has many examples you can lift
Have a look at some of the MS example databases such as Northwind & Contacts

In response to post #22
Believe me when I say you CAN lock down databases verty securely with a bit of effort.
In fact I created several security challenges on this forum which very few people have managed to solve

I've no idea what your answer in post #21 means

Website links:

Colin

Last edited by isladogs; 10-18-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Extra comment
Old 10-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #24
Dangerous
Newly Registered User

I found it difficult to explain the problem & solution in post 21.

Not actually flitting from one thing to another. I have spend days trying (and failing) to do the things I've asked about. Joining this forum was a last resort before giving up and doing without some of the functionality I wanted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: