Purpose of System Tables (2 Viewers)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:16
@colin, in a moment of 'need to do something different' solved your riddle. found two records in the other table. It uses a similar principle I have applied to protecting db's from intrusion, so not too difficult!

@John - hope you and missy don't have a hangover! and congrats on the promotion

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
I still think of some things that happen behind the scenes in Office as the very blackest of black magic, though I don't recall the use of "black magic" in the Harry Potter books. They DID talk about the "unspeakable curses" and such, but magic was just... magic.

And I very frequently will describe some Access-based process that includes the phrase, "when you do this, Access automagically does that ..." - but nobody has ever called me down. It isn't a typo when I use that. Given the disdainful attitude that so many folks have about Microsoft software reliability, there is more than just a Freudian slip in those comments. Perhaps a mixture of irony and sarcasm?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@colin, in a moment of 'need to do something different' solved your riddle. found two records in the other table. It uses a similar principle I have applied to protecting db's from intrusion, so not too difficult!

Hi CJ
Thanks for not giving away the solution
You are of course correct & I'm sure you know the table name & contents.
It was intended as your 'starter for ten' (members outside the UK MAY not know that phrase)

Next, you should try the various Security Challenges - the first is also quite easy.
Your solution will certainly solve the first challenge.

The second is more tricky and includes additional steps ...and the third harder still.
BUT I'm extremely confident in your ability to complete all of them if you give them a try

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:16
Thanks CJ! Unfortunately it involves her going back to Virginia while I stay behind and get things sorted here. Needless to say my European dream is about to become an American Nightmare...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@John - So you are heading back as well? We were talking about where could we go for a winter weekend break only the other day - and thought of you guys. Haven't got around to doing anything about it yet....

@colin - work pressure is down a notch at the moment, so I'll give it a go

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
CJ,

The plan is for me to start looking and go back once I find another job. My tenure here in Italy doesn’t expire until 2021, but once Missy landed a job in the chosen field she didn’t want to let the opportunity slip by. Couple that with newest addition to our family (Chloe) and the writing was in the wall.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Good luck with that NG

Now ... getting back to the topic again ....I've finally managed to view all the very deep hidden system tables that I've mentioned several times in this thread.

I had a breakthrough due to a passing comment in an email from CJ_London with his solution for Security Challenge #1.

I've updated my website with more details of what these contain.
For anyone who cares, see http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/purpose-of-system-tables/4594446646

TBH the outcome was all a bit of a letdown in the end as they do not seem to contain anything particularly crucial to ensuring an ACCDB file runs properly

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One item I noticed you missed - data definition query with flags=96
I have them as 144. I'll see if I can figure out if there are two different types. I also discovered something I never knew when I went looking for an explanation of 96 vs 144. If you use abomination data types, the query type changes.

262147 rather than 3 for Hidden selects
and
262144 rather than 0 for select querydefs
Others may change also but this is all I tested.

For info, hidden objects add 8 to the Flags value
What does 8 mean?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Pat
As you already know there are gaps of 16 between all the flags values in the list
Hiding any object fills the 'gap' by adding 8 to the 'default' MSysObjects flags value for that object.
So a hidden local table has flags 0+8=8 as does a hidden select query.
Hidden crosstab 16+8=24 etc

EDIT
Forgot to say that I made a create table data definition query to recheck the flags value. Definitely 96 or 104 if hidden.

Also I've no idea where those numbers come from in the latter part of your last post e.g. "3 for hidden selects"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom