New Link Table Write Conflict (1 Viewer)

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:12
Hi Table Masters,

I'm using SQL 2008 R2 backend Linked DB. I just linked a new table into the objects Now, I'm getting a Write Conflict when I try to change anything in the existing tables. It is not currently part of any query it simple been linked in. Before linking it in everything worked fine. Has anyone seen this error before and how to overcome it? :eek:

Ranman256

Local time
did you link using the correct/latest ODBC driver for your server?
do you have rights to update?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:12
Yes I have. There could be more than one reason but in my case i eventually worked out the problem was SQL tables with Boolean fields but no default value.
Unlike Access, boolean fields in SQL Server can have three states- true, false and null.
Access shows the nulls as false which is confusing!
If you try to update tables with those fields, Access gets its knickers in a twist and gives a write conflict error.

So if you have that situation, assign a default in all cases and set any null values to that default in each case.

Hope that helps

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I'm using the same ODBC driver that I've always used that works. And, I do have update rights but I have simple added it and done nothing more. In fact, I have removed it and I still get the same Write Conflict error.:eek:

Tupacmoche

Registered User.
Local time
Isladogs,

I have also resolved this issue that way in the past and did not imagine that that would be an issue again. What, I mean is that I have several databases that use a bit on the sql side. I have set there default value to ((0)) not null and they work fine. In any event I deleted the bit field and it now working. Which leads to a second question. If, I have implemented the bit field in the exact same way in this DB why is it miss-behaving? Any thoughts?:confused:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:12
Don't know offhand but I love the phrase 'a bit on the sql side'. :)
It has connotations I'm sure you didn't mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom