ASP.NET Database Front-End? (1 Viewer)

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 10:52
Hi,

I've been creating database apps for a while now with SQL Server back-ends and Access 2000 front-ends. We've just recently purchased Visual Studio 2005 and I'm looking to try using an ASP front-end instead of Access. The idea was to have the ASP app on our company intranet and thereby eliminate having front-ends on each client computer.

I have my SQL Server back-end made and I've started to make one of the ASP pages, but I'm stuck as to how to go about binding an ASP form to the data. I basically want it to look like a standard database form (textboxes, drop-down lists, etc) but through a browser.

Could someone direct me to a tutorial of some sort to get me started? It'd be greatly appreciated. :D

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Today, 11:52
Matty said:
Hi,

I've been creating database apps for a while now with SQL Server back-ends and Access 2000 front-ends. We've just recently purchased Visual Studio 2005 and I'm looking to try using an ASP front-end instead of Access. The idea was to have the ASP app on our company intranet and thereby eliminate having front-ends on each client computer.

I have my SQL Server back-end made and I've started to make one of the ASP pages, but I'm stuck as to how to go about binding an ASP form to the data. I basically want it to look like a standard database form (textboxes, drop-down lists, etc) but through a browser.

Could someone direct me to a tutorial of some sort to get me started? It'd be greatly appreciated. :D

http://www.w3schools.com/

That is a great tutorial for all kind of wed designing stuff.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Thanks a bunch! I've got some reading to do!

I've done Access/VB for a while now, but ASP seems a little foreign to me. Hopefully this does the trick. :)

selenau837

Local time
Matty said:

I've done Access/VB for a while now, but ASP seems a little foreign to me. Hopefully this does the trick. :)

Good then, find my record set thread and help me out. I posted it yesterday. :D

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:52
Matty said:

Just as a heads-up asp and asp.net are two different languages.

asp is much close to vbscript whilst asp.net can be coded in a variety of different .net languages. The closest to vba would be vb.net.

If you are starting out into web programming - I advise that you start out with asp.net.;)

selenau837

Local time
dan-cat said:
Just as a heads-up asp and asp.net are two different languages.

asp is much close to vbscript whilst asp.net can be coded in a variety of different .net languages. The closest to vba would be vb.net.

If you are starting out into web programming - I advise that you start out with asp.net.;)

Better yet, ASP.net 2.0. It has even better toys to play with. Alot of the leg work for binding data, setting up log in features etc, are now automated for you. My instructor used 2.0 with us this semester, and she was so excited about some of the new features.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
selenau837 said:
Better yet, ASP.net 2.0. It has even better toys to play with. Alot of the leg work for binding data, setting up log in features etc, are now automated for you. My instructor used 2.0 with us this semester, and she was so excited about some of the new features.

I'm actually going to be using ASP.net 2.0. I had taken a VB.net course back in the fall and my instructor was encouraging me to give ASP.net a try and see if it'll work for what I want to do. And that's where I am. :)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:52
Matty said:
I'm actually going to be using ASP.net 2.0. I had taken a VB.net course back in the fall and my instructor was encouraging me to give ASP.net a try and see if it'll work for what I want to do. And that's where I am. :)

Well get on with it then :D

selenau837

Local time
dan-cat said:
Well get on with it then :D

Yeah, what he says.
/\
|
|

edit: I take that back...get on my recordset problem. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom