UnSure how to get New Comment (Blank) to the Top (1 Viewer)

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:32
Hello,
I hope this will make sense I am new to access and was given a pre-built database by a former employee to take over. What I am wondering is I was able to figure out the get the new comments sorted from newest to oldest but in order to post a new Comment you have to scroll all the way to the bottom. -See Attachments

Is there a way to move the new comment box to the top and remain static instead of it being on the bottom? I feel like this should be possible but again I am new to Access so I'll probably need laymen terms on this one. :banghead:

Thank you for any help anyone can offer. If it helps there are tables on the back end that link to the front end Forms.

Attachments

• Top.png
    Top.png
    9 KB · Views: 88
  • Bottom.png
    Bottom.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 97

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to the forum. I am not aware of a built-in way to make it behave like that. What I have seen others do is add a row of unbound textboxes or an add only subform just above the list of comments for entering new comments. If you use unbound textboxes, you'll need a button and some code to commit the entered data into the table and clear the boxes.

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you, I thought about doing something similar to that. I think my first thought was duplicate Comments box and have it filter out anything with text in it forcing only the "New" section left to enter in text I just wasn't sure if that would add to the constant crashing and instability of the database. The hardest part is not being the one who built it and understanding what is going where while trying to teach myself how to use it. For instance what is causing the serious error message that keeps happening. Maybe something to do with multiple users and how its built but I don't know enough about it. But it seems extremely temperamental.

Baby steps but I am getting there. :D

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thank you, I thought about doing something similar to that. I think my first thought was duplicate Comments box and have it filter out anything with text in it forcing only the "New" section left to enter in text I just wasn't sure if that would add to the constant crashing and instability of the database. The hardest part is not being the one who built it and understanding what is going where while trying to teach myself how to use it. For instance what is causing the serious error message that keeps happening. Maybe something to do with multiple users and how its built but I don't know enough about it. But it seems extremely temperamental.

Hi. One quick way to find out the answers to multiple questions is to share your database with someone who can take a look at it for you. If you use a subform with a data entry form (one that has the Data Entry property set to Yes), then you won't need to filter it because it will automatically exclude existing records and always open to a new record.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:32
Do all users have their 'own' copy of the front end?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
And I would like to add to the question, are we talking about a MDB database file here? Thanks.

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
Microsoft Access Database (.accdb) I think this was what you were referring to.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Microsoft Access Database (.accdb) I think this was what you were referring to.
Yes, that's correct. How many users are we talking about? And as Gasman asked, do they have their own copy of the FE on their local machine?

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time

No they are all accessing this file from the server. Which was why I thought that maybe multiple entries would cause the attached error.

User = maybe 5 that actually enter items.. maybe a couple more that just review.

Attachments

• Crash.JPG
    Crash.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 95

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
No they are all accessing this file from the server. Which was why I thought that maybe multiple entries would cause the attached error.

User = maybe 5 that actually enter items.. maybe a couple more that just review.
Hi. Take a look at this article on how to properly share a database.

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much for that. I tried to tell the previous "Guru" that I didn't think that was correct. He insisted so in part that is my fault not checking into it further. Now that he is gone I will make these changes and am now certain this should resolve a ton of issues.

Thank you guys for your help! Greatly appreciated!

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
HMMM Unable to save as an ACCDE seems as though I have too many Table ID's? It says only 2048 can be used at one time.

28 Reports
21 Forms
24 Queries
16 Tables

I did read this error unable to create could also stem from file format. Now I am using Access 2016 and the file format is Access 2007-2016 any other things I should look at?

I tried the VBA Alt+F11 Debug>> Compile new Tracker but I dont think thats right Syntax error No codes in there.

I then Tried this Creating a whole new FE and importing everything and then linking back to the BE also same error trying convert to ACCDE. :confused:

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
When I have had problems saving as ACCDE it has always been an error in the code.

So the steps you describe that you have taken, decompiling, and then moving everything into a new fresh db are exactly the steps I would have taken.

Seeing as you are still having conversion problems even though you have carried out all of the correct steps, then it is possible that one of the objects you have transferred into the new fresh database had a hidden error which is not being fixed by decompile.

In this case I would adopt an incremental approach, create a fresh new database and then import into that just the tables, reports, queries, everything really, except the forms.

The assumption being, the error is in a form and basically you are isolating it so that you can see where the error is likely to be.

If it compiles OK without the forms, then the next step would be to move individual forms into a new blank database and compile that and see if you can discover which form contains the error.

If all this works ok and you end up with a single form with an error in it, then you can either recreate that form from scratch or you could try exporting it as text and re-importing it into a fresh database and see if that fixes the problem.

I don't recall ever having used the export to text option myself, although I am aware it's available. I also understand that it's not quite straightforward, and would appreciate you reporting back on your experience if you decide to take this route.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Tony mentioned decompiling which you appear not to have done.

My assumption was that when the OP mentioned "compiling" they were actually referring to "decompiling".

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I read it as Compiling and the compiler is saying Syntax error.?
Fix the syntax errors.

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
Question here. When working with this is there supposed to be VBA code here? It almost looks as if this database was created not using VBA but Macros within Access and then converted to VBA. Is this normal? Seems like it can create weak links but I may be wrong on that. The error I keep getting is a syntax error but there really isn't anything popping up other than the in process which highlights red. In other programs this would appear as Access is trying to tell me that this is the error? -See Attachments

It's probably just me but it almost seems like using Access is taking a step back in tech. Is it worth taking the time to learn and be valuable in the future to know? I am starting to become invested just don't want to waste time learning windows 3.1 if there is a better option out there.

Please excuse my ignorance. I really just jumped in and don't really know much about Access. I have been learning a lot to maintain what already exists so far but need to take it up a notch. So all suggestions or assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Compile Error.JPG
    Compile Error.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Filter Macros.JPG
    Filter Macros.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Converted to VBA.JPG
    Converted to VBA.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Debug_Compile.JPG
    Debug_Compile.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 81

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That first pic.

Would you have a status called "In Process"?
If so the quotes are missing for some reason.?

Anything like this will need to be corrected.

BC_Seattle

Registered User.
Local time
That was it!!!!!! I didn't realize this was a status he had and thought it was something apart of the debug process. I guess he didn't have the "" around it correctly. This resolved the issue!!! Thank you so much for the help.

Side question can the same executable be used for all local copies or does each local copy need to be named uniquely to prevent BE database confusion with multiple entries. Hope that makes sense.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, the FE should have the same name for all users.
They can call it what they like, but when you apply any updates they would not work, so best to keep to same name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom