Customizing ribbon and QAT on a shared work computer (1 Viewer)

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:21
At lunchtime, I cover the front desk in my office and log in as myself on the receptionist's computer, taking whatever desk work I can with me.

If I want to replicate some of my custom ribbon features, and Quick Access Toolbar, on her computer, those are user-specific, aren't they? When she comes back and re-logs in, she wouldn't have to put up with my custom additions, would she?

I like big macros and I cannot lie. :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:21
Actually, probably not. Depending on how you're doing the customization. If you're using the menu from the ribbon to "customize" it, then I think it's machine specific. Meaning, after you're done and log out, the next user will still have to contend with your customization.

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Hmm, I think I'm going to tread lightly then. I suppose I could just try to work around it, and only temporarily add what I like. Most of the time I'm revising reports someone else has made from a variety of old reports used as templates, and it's mostly small typing revisions, and looking for formatting issues. A big repetitive issue is the outline containing blank lines from a line return, and I've learned having the "classic Styles" dropdown on the QAT is the easiest way to change a line from Level ! to Body Text on the fly. It's simple enough to pop on and off the toolbar, I guess, so I'm not leaving a mess of new gizmos.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, I think I'm going to tread lightly then. I suppose I could just try to work around it, and only temporarily add what I like. Most of the time I'm revising reports someone else has made from a variety of old reports used as templates, and it's mostly small typing revisions, and looking for formatting issues. A big repetitive issue is the outline containing blank lines from a line return, and I've learned having the "classic Styles" dropdown on the QAT is the easiest way to change a line from Level ! to Body Text on the fly. It's simple enough to pop on and off the toolbar, I guess, so I'm not leaving a mess of new gizmos.
I'll let you know when I get a chance to verify it. Cheers!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:21
It always was user specific IIRC. You could see multiple folder trees per user on a shared computer but if you didn't have the admin capability you couldn't open those folders. Remember "Documents and Settings" folder? One for each user.
You could make a minor change and ask to see the effect when other person is logged in.

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
It always was user specific IIRC. You could see multiple folder trees per user on a shared computer but if you didn't have the admin capability you couldn't open those folders. Remember "Documents and Settings" folder? One for each user.
You could make a minor change and ask to see the effect when other person is logged in.

I know that's true about general Windows settings, but not sure how it works within Office toolbars, etc.

I did make some changes to the Building Blocks (added our letterhead headers and second-sheet background under Insert Headers) so that should be a relatively low-impact, and actually helpful, addition. We just don't work side by side a lot so I'll have to hang around when she gets back from lunch or make time.

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
So the answer seems to be, it's user specific.

I got to stretch my legs AND check on it.

Her QAT doesn't reflect the items I added, and her Insert Header doesn't have our letterhead options in it, and she's happy the way it is. I guess I can customize away!

Thanks all! And happy weekend!

Ann

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So the answer seems to be, it's user specific.

I got to stretch my legs AND check on it.

Her QAT doesn't reflect the items I added, and her Insert Header doesn't have our letterhead options in it, and she's happy the way it is. I guess I can customize away!

Thanks all! And happy weekend!

Ann
Hi Ann. Thanks for the update. It's very good to know. Cheers!

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
I should note that this may differ depending on how the overall system is set up, but as long as people have independent user log-ins and separate folders set up, I'm guessing these changes reside somewhere in a file that, along with my individual "normal.dot" template, resides in my user area.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:21
...I'm guessing these changes reside somewhere in a file that, along with my individual "normal.dot" template, resides in my user area.
Pretty sure they are Name.customUI or Name.officeUI where Name is a word related to the application: e.g. Word16.customUI.
Themes and templates are not kept there, but you'd be correct if you move up the folder tree all the way to your account name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom