Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #2296
Dick7Access
Dick S

Dick7Access is on a distinguished road
Re: Shootings in US schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Ah, we have discovered a strong similarity between the way England forms a government and the way the USA forms a government. Once the initial choices have been made, it all goes downhill from there.
Amen, and amen

Dick7Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #2297
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough

Quick question.

If I went to the USA, (God forbid) but if I did. Would I be able to buy a gun in Walmart or wherever?
I saw the film "Dirty Harry" the other day, I fancied a Magnum .44 like old Clint has. Clint says it can blow a mans head clean off, sounds good to me.

Col
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #2298
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Yes and no.

Wal-Mart does actually sell guns, but due to the Brady Amendment, you have to wait several days between buying the gun and actually picking it up. Additionally, there are a number of federal ID requirements, and I'm not sure how much is involved for a non-citizen. There's also a background check requirement to ensure you're not a convicted felon.

If you really want to buy a gun in a hurry, go to a flea market or trade show. You can't get machine guns, but any gun legal to sell (and probably some that aren't quite legal for sale) can be found there, and you can pay cash and walk out that day, no background check required. Maybe not from licensed businesses, but there are all sorts of private sellers there who aren't bound by all the rules businesses have to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #2299
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Also, it's less 'blow clean off' than it is 'explode into messy chunks'.

However, .44s are hard and slow to aim and kick like a mule. Unless impressing someone with the size of your hand cannon is important or you plan on punching through body armor (good luck!), you're better off with something lighter. A 9 mm or even a .22 works just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #2300
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
Quick question.

If I went to the USA, (God forbid) but if I did. Would I be able to buy a gun in Walmart or wherever?
I saw the film "Dirty Harry" the other day, I fancied a Magnum .44 like old Clint has. Clint says it can blow a mans head clean off, sounds good to me.

Col
This may tell you a little about how difficult it actually is;
https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...a-store-2019-8

As to going to a gun show, they have the same restrictions.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #2301
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingslosh View Post
Also, it's less 'blow clean off' than it is 'explode into messy chunks'.

However, .44s are hard and slow to aim and kick like a mule. Unless impressing someone with the size of your hand cannon is important or you plan on punching through body armor (good luck!), you're better off with something lighter. A 9 mm or even a .22 works just fine.
Personally, I wouldn't have a clue, never actually seen a real gun. I was just quoting Clint. I bow to your greater knowledge.

Actually, I'm not sure what Walmart is, it's not a name known much in the UK, although I think they own the supermarket 'Asda'. I imagine it is a shop that sell loads of stuff like Amazon.

Col
Old 08-23-2019, 06:49 PM   #2302
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,507 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, have to agree with Frothy - depending on the specific type of ammo, a .44 mag will blow your head off but the word "clean" is in no way related to the results. A .357 mag has only just a little less stopping power but is somewhat easier to handle. And for my money, the Colt 1911 .45 caliber semi-auto is just as good if all you want to do is knock down someone who was trying to inflict mayhem on your person and dissuade them from immediately getting up again.

Never tried to buy a gun at a WalMart so really can't address how hard or easy it might be.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: