what's the best way to start learning .NET (1 Viewer)

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Yesterday, 21:13
I have some experience with vba and vb.

WindSailor

Registered User.
Local time

WindSailor

Registered User.
Local time
Here a while back I thought they changed their mind and made it free from now on... I'll have to go back and check...

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Today, 13:43
Oh yeah... looks like you're right! :D
Good move on their part I think.
Pricing

10. How much will these products cost?

Effective April 19th, 2006, all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions are free permanently. This pricing covers all Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions including Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, and Visual Web Developer as well as all localized versions of Visual Studio Express.

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition has always been and will continue to be a free download.

11. Visual Studio 2005 Express was previously promotionally discounted to free for a year, why did you decide to change the price to free permanently?
Previously, we announced that Visual Studio Express would be available for a promotional price of one year. We have now extended that period so that Visual Studio 2005 will be free permanently.

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
Thanks all, i have come long a way in little time :D

MsLady

Traumatized by Access
Local time
shadow9449 said:
Well, which learning method did you use....??

SHADOW
1. First i watched the videos (didn't practise...just relaxed on my bed and watched alot of it on my laptop)...lol
2. 1 month passed, and i realized I can't discipline myself enough to self study and practise, i decided to enroll in a certification class at a discounted price of about $1200 for all the MSDE.NET series (here).

3. I go to the classes every saturday (10am-5pm). Class of about 8 people. Very cool folks too and we constantly learn new things from each other and the teacher is simply the best. he covers alot in a day. We were given these books (see below). I paid that much money, i wouldn't let the money waste on my laziness...so im motivated to study them. The hands-on practise from sample projects i get from the class and studying the book is what has helped majorly. The book is great too and it touches the vb and c# code (side by side). Some experience with a prior version of VS (VS 6.0) makes it really easy to breeze through the book as .NET still carries alot of the original functionality of prior VS with additional enhancements.

I make a copy of every chapter and read a chapter on my commute back and forth to work on the train everyday. when i have questions, i write it on the copy to ask later. when i need to go over something, i note it down on the train and go at it when i loggon.

This training center has a separate module for ADO.net, so i am waiting to take the class, which is the next module now. once i finish that i'll go ahead and take the windows exam (im ready...microsoft bring it on!!! :D)

MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft® .NET Core Requirements,
Exams 70-305/70-315, 70-306/70-316, 70-310/70-320, and 70-300

or, if you don't want to get the kit.

MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows®-Based Applications
with Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Ed

MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with Microsoft®
Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual C#® .NET, Second Edition

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:13
Wow...good for you. You seem really motivated. I'm sure it's a great career move for you.

At this point, anything that I'm going to study will have to be on the side. I simply don't have time to attend classes. Everything I do is in Access, and I would love to expand on that, but I have a business to run...

Good luck

SHADOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom