Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

gstylianou is on a distinguished road
Open Report remotely from other database

Good evening to all,

I have the following issue. I have two databases, into the first one there is a form and one command button, and into the second there is a Report. Is there a way to open the Report remotely using the command button which is into the other database?

gstylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Open Report remotely from other database

Review https://bytes.com/topic/access/answe...ode-another-db and https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...pplication.Run

So you need a procedure in other db that has OpenReport code.

Last edited by June7; 10-11-2018 at 10:15 AM.
June7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

Dear June,

Thanks, but still cannot manage the vba code in order to open the report from my second database.... Could you please apply a sample code?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,508 Posts
isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice

Alternatively, link any tables used by that report & import the report together with any underlying queries needed. Then run it from the main database.

Web links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
June7
Newly Registered User

What did you try? What happens? Post your attempted code. Following example works for me:
Code:
Private Sub Command29_Click()
Dim appAccess As New Access.Application
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase ("C:\Users\June\Overtime.accdb")
appAccess.Visible = True
appAccess.Run "Test"
End Sub
And now there is a second fully open db that user will have to close. Is that what you really want?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,350 Posts
Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light Pat Hartman is a glorious beacon of light

Have you considered merging the applications? If they use the same data, perhaps there should be a single version of the FE rather than two.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
arnelgp

Thanked 2,143 Times in 2,054 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

highly consider Post #4.
very light. no other Access popping up.
no extra vba required.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

Hello all of you,

My better description of this issue is:

We have an old database which is accde format and as you may know we can not do any changes on reports in case where this may needed. Also keep in mind that, the database is not split due to bad initial design, and that's why we have left it until we finish with a new version which its on process.

Because of the above serious issue, I thought to transfer all reports and all related tables and queries to a new accdb database (which will be locked), in order to make any changes may occur into reports, but i must find the way to call those reports using a command button into the main database (accde).

The resulting questions are:

1. If using vba code we can find the way to call the reports from the accde database, how will they be presented if they open? I must go to the second base (accdb) to see them?

2. Can those reports they appear inside the main database (accde) as a Pop-up report?

Thanks in advanced
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 AM   #9
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice isladogs is just really nice

If I've understood you correctly, you want to copy database objects such as forms & reports from an ACCDE to a new ACCDB file.

Unfortunately that is not possible - ACCDE files are designed to prevent copying all database objects EXCEPT tables & queries

Web links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
If I've understood you correctly, you want to copy database objects such as forms & reports from an ACCDE to a new ACCDB file.

Unfortunately that is not possible - ACCDE files are designed to prevent copying all database objects EXCEPT tables & queries
No my friend isladogs...!!!! As i told, i want to open the reports (which are embedded into a database B accdb), using a command button from database A (accde)..
Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #11
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstylianou View Post
No my friend isladogs...!!!! As i told, i want to open the reports (which are embedded into a database B accdb), using a command button from database A (accde)..
Yes that's what I thought originally but in post #8 you wrote this

Quote:
Because of the above serious issue, I thought to transfer all reports and all related tables and queries to a new accdb database (which will be locked), in order to make any changes may occur into reports,
Hence my comment

Web links:

Colin
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
June7
Newly Registered User

I could only get code to call a procedure in a general module, not procedure behind form such as button click. Since you cannot modify accde to create procedure, I see no solution.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,051 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

The problem is that most button clicks, if implemented by the form wizards, are defined with Private button_Click... which means that external access to the button click code using VBA to call it is not possible. There is no public reference point that you can "grab" in order to trigger the event.

I think this problem is insoluble as asked. If you had the developer's copy of that .ACCDE then maybe you could do something, but the .ACCDE is designed to stop this kind of internal exploration and "diddling about."
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
gstylianou
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
The problem is that most button clicks, if implemented by the form wizards, are defined with Private button_Click... which means that external access to the button click code using VBA to call it is not possible. There is no public reference point that you can "grab" in order to trigger the event.

I think this problem is insoluble as asked. If you had the developer's copy of that .ACCDE then maybe you could do something, but the .ACCDE is designed to stop this kind of internal exploration and "diddling about."

Dear friend Doc_man, i'm the developer of this accde database, so i have the accdb format. Do you have an idea ?

Note that, after any modification we would like to return again to accde format.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,051 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

If the .ACCDE in file B contains data not in file A, you could copy the report to file A and LINK to the tables in file B, then re-point that report's data sources and run the PRINT operation directly from file A. June7 has also posted an option.

If neither of these are going to work for you, you have painted yourself into a corner.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: