Links Access / Word 365 (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 19:27
If I put a link in MS Word or in a Access hyperlink field and then try and use the link it gives me the following error message:

“The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”

These are links that I have been using for years.

Anybody got any ideas?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:27
Hi. Maybe it's a Windows issue. What version of Windows are you using and do you know if you recently installed any updates?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
is this on a usb drive (stick) or similar?
You may have corrupted it by not ejecting it before removing it from the pc.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:27
First test is, from the machine that is attempting to use this hyperlink, get to Windows explorer (if you can do this) and try to directly open the target file from a standard "file directory" Window. This test will confirm whether your problem is a change in file security brought on by Windows patching.

Second is, you say you have been using this for years - but you really haven't because you have not had Office 365 available for years. What was the previous version of Office for which this worked correctly? I'm thinking a situation with a "trusted location" might be in play, and Office 365 is known to be ... picky about such things.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
First, it’s not from a flash or external drive. I use Windows 10 home, Office 365 is at least 8 months old. The db I have to keep tract of my “How To” is at least 10 years old. Everything worked fine until two weeks ago.
I have attached the “How To” db. Some of the records have URL’s in the hyperlink field. If someone has the time or inclination to try it on their machine and the links work then “theDBgfuy is probable right, the problem is probable in Win.

Attachments

• HowTo4compress.zip
    384.8 KB · Views: 40

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It IS possible to run into "trusted location" issues on your own system even if it is not an external location. However,...

Everything worked fine until two weeks ago.

If it went bonkers on a Wednesday morning, it might well have been an automatic patch because the "Microsoft Patch Model" is for Tuesday afternoon patch distribution and with Win10, those patches can be difficult to stop.

I'm on my old Win7 system so can't find this easily, but if you dig around, you can find a Windows Update Patch History (Google it for Win10) that chronologically (in reverse order) lists patches that your system has endured. You would be able to identify a date for your last patch. It would also give you a KB or other number that you can look up online to see what that patch addressed. If it mentions "trusted location" issues or "file security" issues in relation to Office (any version) then you have a good idea as to what happened. However, without knowing specifically which patch did it to you, a fix would be hard to identify. Though there IS the ability to roll back a patch as a test.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:27
Well the url links work for me. Still trying to find a directory link

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Duh!, I hate it when my wife let's me do dumb things. I had forgotten I have my back computer here with me in TX and it has the "How To" DB on it. Just tried it and the links work ok.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Dick, wives do that so you realize how much you really need them around.

Haven't you figured that out by now?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick, wives do that so you realize how much you really need them around.

Haven't you figured that out by now?

Mine does it remotely. I am in Hallsville, TX and she is in Ocala, FL.

ps. Where we going to eat in December?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom