Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 15:48
Windows 10 is available as a free download on July 29th to those on Windows 8.1, does anybody have any views on moving to 10, would it be a bit reckless or a good idea?

Brian

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:48
My Win 7 Home machine is telling me I can upgrade as well. I'll probably put it on a VM and test first, but I have heard good things about 10. It fits the pattern too, as it seems every other Windows version is bleh. I'm not alone in having skipped ME, Vista and 8 (I buy and support for my employer).

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:48
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated !

grahamvb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:48
I have been using Windows 7 and Access 2013. I just updated a test machine and all went well until I tried to run some of my custom Access applications. Still with Access 2013 now on Windows 10. I am not sure why just yet but some commands like "DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord" are not available. Also, when using the "Microsoft XML, v6.0" library, variable dimensioning fails ie; "Dim objXMLHTTP As MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP"

Anybody else having issues, or solutions, in Windows 10?

Last edited:

enriquegill012

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:48
I love Windows 10! So far I don't have any problems or issues with it. Windows 8 is the worst Microsoft has ever produced.

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:48
Please be aware Microsoft have Auto Updates plugged into Windows 10 so you can be working on something and it Auto Updates without you knowing and then reboots. At work this can be annoying and if like me training people it disrupts the session. My only option I found to do something about this is to use the System Files to switch Auto Update off you don't get the normal Control Panel setting.

robert_mann

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I am a happy windows 10 user. So smooth and fast. And the windows defender is awesome. It will try not to pass any malware or virus in your PC.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:48
Just found this article on-line that tells you yet ANOTHER reason why Win10 ain't such a perfect product.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fix-windows-10-driver-problems-181709439.html

What I take from the article is that even if you had a perfectly valid specific driver for your specific device from a specific vendor, this little "gotcha" from MS would wipe out your driver in favor of a less specific generic driver - which is why they need the "hack" on their own drivers. Every time I turn around I see one more reason why Win10 is not coming in this house until they've got this stupidity under control. And right now, a hack like this one tells me it ISN'T under control.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Are you able to use the SSD in your old system? If so, back it up first. :D

Then I would use a thumb drive to make a media creation tool using the original laptop. If you own a legit copy of Win10 I believe you can transfer it and the SSD using the "media creation tool" to the new system.

There is an update to Win10, but I would use the second option and just use the tool, then upgrade later if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom