EU Cookie Privacy Laws - popups coming (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:13
The EU Cookie privacy law requires that any EU visitor must be presented with a notification that cookies are used. We already have a privacy statement on the site but that is not enough nowadays. They want something more intrusive. That means a popup.

So, in the near future you will see a popup in the bottom right hand corner of the page. You can click the Ok button to hide it again but after a period of time it will appear again.

I hate popups, I hate this EU law implimentation, but I now have no choice. It also means that all visitors will get these popups, as I cannot distinguish where each visitor is from.

What are your thoughts on this?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:13
A friend runs a commercial B2C & B2B site and while moving to a new system spent some money on implementation of this cookie-warning thing. Ultimately he decided to dump it, saying "let them sue me"

It is one of the more idiotic things the know-nothing Eu-imbecils have decreed there. Millions must have been spent on this "#%"%¤"!! Makes me wonder, why don't we have demands to have "mind the traffic" signs painted alongside all roads?

Update: as to "popups" - I've seen many less obnoxious implementations with some stripe of semi-transparent text sliding in from top or bottom, or some little square thingy from the side, so it can be done rather more tastefully, sort of,

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What has turned the whole thing up a notch is that Google - who supply most of our advertising on the site - are saying we have to implement a system by the end of the month. They have not said what will happen if we don't, but they could well turn off the ads. This will result in losing revenue that supports this site.

Website publishers around the world are all talking about this because it affects everyone. Even if you have a site in the USA, designed for USA visitors, you need the popup because you *may* get a visitor from the EU. The whole thing sucks.

I want to keep this whole site as clean as possible for you guys but I am forced into a popup. Indeed, I will try to find the most tasteful one I can find. I am thinking about having it in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

I've spent ages on this so far and I won't even know for sure if my implementation will be classified as acceptable or not. The guidelines are as vague as anything, suggesting different countries have different rules, blah blah. I hate this!!

I know its about privacy, but frankly I couldn't care less if someone has my IP address logged on a database somewhere. Its not like they are singling me out and publishing a web article saying I've been doing this and that. Its all a big waste of time in my view. One simple EU policy causing millions of website owners to implement a stupid system of popups that annoy hundreds of millions of internet users!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:13
silktide Seems quite straightforward if it meets all requirements. Hopefully, someone could confirm this. Seems it would take some burden/frustration away from Jon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, Silktide is one we have already put on another site and it is likely I will put it on this site too. What I am not so keen about is that the edge of it will go into the bottom right thread column. You will see what I mean when it is implemented. I would have preferred one where you can scroll and never have it cover any of the thread area.

Checkout our homepage. I have implemented the cookie popup there. If anyone finds a less intrusive one that I can put in the bottom right hand corner, let me know.

Last edited:

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
As user of site - doesn't bother me in the slightest, if that was the question.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've added a popup, but would prefer a narrower one that doesn't overlap into the thread text. Anyone know of one?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jon

fwiw, I hadn't noticed any change at all.
Certainly nothing to interfere with my practical use of the forums.
There have been no popups.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to dismiss an occasional popup, though.

Perhaps you could remove the popups for paid-for members?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Jon,
I have received the pop up. I don't think it is taking away from the page. I have seen similar on other pages recently --one had a strip across the bottom of the page.

I don't know what customization is available, and I am not a javascript /html/css person. Perhaps the size of the pop up can be reduced by means of smaller font(s) to reduce the amount of screen real estate occupied.

ozinm

Human Coffee Siphon
Local time

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
The EU laws also state that all business websites must have full contact details, including postal address on every single page.

You may notice this is being ignored as well :banghead:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:13
EU is full of it! (and I am otherwise a supporter of EU)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Tieval, do you have a link to this law about every page needing full contact details? Its stupid! What is a Contact page for then?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The info at the link says

.....For websites, contrary to the fears of some, the specified information does not need to appear on every page. Again, many websites will already list the required information, perhaps on their 'About us' or 'Legal info' pages.......

Also, there is a notification at the top of the linked page (see attached doc file)

Attachments

• Cookies on Pinsent Masons website.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ah, that won't apply ot us as we are not a company.

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
It was peddled for some time as a requirement, as usual in the UK there are a host of people trying to make money out of badly worded EU laws.

The Cookie thing, although I appreciate you have issues with Google surrounding this is an absolute joke. Even the wording says "ignore it until seriously threatened with a slapped wrist".

If you own a website, you will need to make sure it complies with the law, and this usually means making some changes.

If you don't comply you risk enforcement action from regulators, which in the UK means The Information Commissioners' Office (ICO). In exceptional cases this can mean a fine.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Well - I liked the cookie thing - I felt all important and loved :)
I've only seen it the once though, will it come back and say hello again occasionally? :cool:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:13
1. If I turn on my pop-up blocker then things seem to be quiet.

2. My most frequent contact point is a navy.mil site, so pop-up blockers are mandatory and relentless. I don't see pop-ups that often anyway.

I would be interested in knowing whether U.S. Government sites can essentially tell the EU wonks where to stick it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom