Immigration and the Hard Working Englishman (1 Viewer)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 20:22
I read today that on his Parlimentary travel duties in Romania the Speaker of the House of Commons made a comment about the Hard Working immigrants of Eastern Europe and the lazy work shy English...

What's your view....

For me... I sit on the fence, having a hard working Polish girlfriend, and being in the company of her Eastern European friends I would in go in some way to agreeing with the comments made...

I readily hear on the news from English people how there are no jobs out there so they can't work, and that immigrants come here and take our jobs...

Well the statement above simply doesn't ring true to start with, you cannot on one hand say that there are no jobs and then on the other hand say that they are taken by immigrants, it is one or the other...

My girlfriend being a Farm manager, in the UK of the last 14 years, employs Eastern Europeans, not by choice, she employs them as they are the only people that apply for any jobs that are advertised, english people have worked at the farm before and have left thinking the work beneath them or simply have not been able to cope with the physical aspect of the work...

A Romanian girl recently left the farm, without having secured onward work, and within two weeks she had another job at the same supervisory level she was on at the farm..

There are jobs out there for people who want to work, I think in some aspects the sad truth is that some English people simply do not want to work...

The immigrants that we should be capping are the ones that clearly only come to the UK to free load off the benefits systems...

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Hard working immigrants should according to economics benefit anywhere they live.
That's the point of working its not supposed to be a zero sum game.

I'm kind of let people in but assist them to leave if they can't fend for themselves.

We've all got immigrants in our ancestry its just how far you go back.

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Scott, I am an Immigrant in UK.. Finished my studies in India, flew here on a University transfer program completed my studies.. Landed in a job in 2011.. At that moment I took the job that was available.. The company wanted a Temporary DB Developer, pay was only £ 14,800 a year.. Not the graduate pay one would expect after getting through all the hardships, still I applied for it (a) to gain some experience in the field, that would add value to my CV and (b) I did not want to waste my time looking for the "better" job.. Just wanted to get a job, even then Job market was bad.. So I did not want to waste my time..

In my opinion I did my best, here I am still with the job, with an increased pay.. Not bragging.. But I would like to point out, my Uni friends (of the EU and some Immigrants) still are looking for THE job of lifetime.. I am not blaming them.. They wish to get the job of their dream, understandable.. But if they are going to spend all their time and effort for something that would happen in future; why not get their hands dirty settle for something little bit lesser..

I certainly agree, with your comment..
as they are the only people that apply for any jobs that are advertised
After my first year, when I had my review and I was offered a permanent position, I asked my manager, how many applied for this job.. My manager replied very few.. Showing some of the applications, many were from minorities..

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 13:22
Well, in that case I don't plan on flying over the Pond to apply for a job there.

It is too bad that some political types have such a low regard for the working class.
I think it is disrespectful for any official to state it in those terms.
Would agree that most systems provide an alternative income to actually working for money. It is too bad that the focus can't be on removing or resolving those counter-productive policies.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I read today that on his Parlimentary travel duties in Romania the Speaker of the House of Commons made a comment about the Hard Working immigrants of Eastern Europe and the lazy work shy English...

What's your view....

For me... I sit on the fence, having a hard working Polish girlfriend.

I think you have answered your own question - get off the fence and help her you lazy ****!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I havw no problem with hard working immigrants. Good luck to them. I would have a problem with immigrants who come here to sponge off the benefit system but I am not sure there are many of those in reality.

IMO healthy people on benefit should be made to do some useful community service if they want to take the benefit.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 12:22
Would that include 'pensioners' taking benefits when they could be doing some useful community service?

I havw no problem with hard working immigrants. Good luck to them. I would have a problem with immigrants who come here to sponge off the benefit system but I am not sure there are many of those in reality.

IMO healthy people on benefit should be made to do some useful community service if they want to take the benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom