Seeking a favour: Please help me populate my new forum! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:58
Just asking for a favour from those who are interested in topics regarding: studying, the mind, mental health, religion, memorisation, productivity, debate.. I have created a new forum on this topic which can be found using the link below.

TheMindTarvern: https://themindtavern.com/community/index.php

It's pretty much me talking to myself in there so far, so please come along and engage. :D

Oh, and invite your friends too!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A big thank you Uncle Gizmo. Forums are very hard to get off the ground. Your participation is greatly valued.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Jon

I know you run several forums but have no idea what they are.
How about providing a list of forums and links for anyone interested.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@ridders, you make a good point. As it stands, there is only this latest one that I run. I have long been interested in topics around the mind, studying, learning etc. but I never gotten around to creating a forum for it. It is in its very early stages but I will flesh it out with other related topics, such as psychology, maybe philosophy, decision-making etc.

So, in brief, The Mind Tavern is the only other forum I am running.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ok thanks.
I've also joined but under a different username.
As an ex-teacher this broad area is also of interest to me.

Like the site design. Different forum software and host?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Someone with your experience would be invaluable on a forum about learning! I appreciate you signing up.

Yes, this new forum uses XenForo while Access World Forums uses vBulletin. vBulletin used to be the best forum software out there but in my view, XenForo is now leader of the pack. It is super-modern, easy to use, better moderation functions and one last thing. I love the way you can - to start a new thread - just start typing in the title of the thread in the Thread Title bar at the top of the forum. Then it expands out to complete your message. Smooth!

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:58
Hi Jon - if possible via settings somewhere, would you consider making it so users need not be signed in to view attachments? For example, I'm looking at this thread: http://themindtavern.com/community/index.php?threads/share-your-knowledge-tree.14/ and wanted to open the image to see what this SuperMemo/KnowledgeTree thing is, but am unable to view it larger unless I sign up.

While I'll probably sign up, it might help to have things a bit more open to non-users to help gain some traction?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@jleach, I will look into that for you.

Edit: I have made that change for you. Attachments now viewable without logging in.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
My company's proxy blocks my access there. :/

I'll join up later.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Vassago, it would be great to see you there! Actually, I think I know why it is blocked. Maybe because it is http rather than https. I need to see if I can apply my existing certificate to it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Same issue as Vassago: Works at home but at work it is blocked.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm going to buy a SSL certificate for the site and see if that fixes it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Update: The site is now https (SSL certificate added). The site links above have been updated to reflect this.

This may fixed the blocked issue some have from work. However, I have been told some companies have policies where they block certain types of site, unless they get whitelisted. e.g. some don't want their employees going on Facebook etc.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Seems I am still blocked at work. The filter says it's an "Uncategorized URL." It must be through some sort of white list. I can access most of the internet, just not any social sites and such.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:58
I might join later. At the moment I am caring for an ailing wife at the same time that I have to help with my grandson after school (which just recently started up again) because wifey has a huge cast on her leg and can't drive. Purely temporary, no complications to the surgery, and she'll be fine. But I'll be a wreck for a while after that. And I've had to limit my visits to this forum because of suddenly becoming both chauffeur and gofer. The latter as in "go for this, go for that..."

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Seems I am still blocked at work. The filter says it's an "Uncategorized URL." It must be through some sort of white list. I can access most of the internet, just not any social sites and such.

Well, I was going to hold my tongue, but since Vassago breached the subject, I will comment only because you(Jon) took the time and effort to make it accessible at work.

I tried to access the site from work and although it didn't get blocked, I could not access it. Something about the SSL cert being out-dated. I wish I had took better note of the error but I was not planing on being a PITA about it since most of my time on AWF and other sites are when I am home.

For Doc: I hope the wife convalesces well, you will be fine!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
...but in my view, XenForo is now leader of the pack. It is super-modern, easy to use, better moderation functions and one last thing. I love the way you can - to start a new thread - just start typing in the title of the thread in the Thread Title bar at the top of the forum. Then it expands out to complete your message. Smooth!

Concur...the site optics are great. Is there move to XenForo in AWF's future?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have considered such a move. My biggest fear is that I may lose traffic to the site. I am not sure what Google will do as they are a law unto themselves. So, I fear the downside more than the upside. It is human nature to think this way, at least that is what the research says in the book Think Fast and Flow.

Other fears include losing long standing members Thank counts, general disharmony and complaining, Brexit and other things.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just a quick note to say that after only 4 days we are up to 200+ posts in themindtavern.com. A big thanks to those forum posters from here who have engaged and helped out. You know who you are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom