How to create an interactive chart style form (booking database) (1 Viewer)

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Today, 22:37
I'm returning to Access as I had to modify a Car Booking database I wrote many years ago (it's not my primary role).

The main form is based on a Listbox, the first column represents the time in 15 min intervals, from 00:00 to 23:45 (a full day), therefore 96 rows. The following columns represent the cars. Where a car is booked for the relevant time periods the car driver's name is listed. I use coordinates of the mouse within the Listbox to determine which booking to be edited or entered.

Anyway, it works, was written many years ago, and they're still using it extensively.

I want to update the visuals, bring it into 2018. I want a form whereby the cars are listed vertically and time listed horizontally. Naturally, the bookings would appear horizontally, positioned and sized correctly.

I'm after ideas how best to go about this?

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
You mean a Gantt chart (project scheduler)? Review http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=18459

If I remember right, report in the example db lists people showing their vacation schedules. Could certainly be adapted for car reservations.

Thanks for the links June, they do indeed refer to Reports and is a similar visual that I'm after. The difference is that I want that visual at the Form level, being interactive, in that the user has the ability to click anywhere within the form, enter or edit bookings of relevant cars.

How do I go about that?

My initial idea was to create Label controls on the fly and position and size them accordingly. As the user navigates to the next or prior days, the system redraws the screen, correctly positioning and sizing various Label controls. I've subsequently found out that that is not possible for ACCDE files, so I've scrapped that idea.

Next idea, which I haven't discounted, is the same as above but creating, many Label controls, default them to hidden. Then for a booking, resize and position the Label control, add whatever text & colour, then make it visible.

I'm open to ideas, preferably by use of tools available within Access.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:37
Hi,

Just as FYI, reports in Access can be interactive now where users can click on it and have your code respond to them.

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Thanks everyone, I got my interactive chart/form working. Here's a sample image: It's not the full form window but I'm sure you get the idea. Data entry is via double-clicking on the relevant area either to add or edit a booking.

(I was hoping to embed the image, couldn't, so it's an attachment)
Edit: 25 Feb 2019: Can now embed (thanks to Isladogs)

Attachments

• AccessInteractiveChartSample.jpg
    AccessInteractiveChartSample.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

essaytee

Need a good one-liner.
Local time
Just thought I'd post an update. I've modified the car booking sheet that now incorporates colour coding (it means something to our office) and the mouse cursor is tracked, that is along the top a marker travels across the time bar and on the left side whatever row the mouse cursor is on, the car is highlighted.

If only I could attach images inline and have them displayed directly that would be nice, but for the time being, I've attached two images, the second image is the colour legend that appears at the bottom of the form.

Attachments

• 2019-02-25-CarBooking.jpg
    2019-02-25-CarBooking.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 2019-02-25-Legend.jpg
    2019-02-25-Legend.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom