Local SQL Server vs. Online mySQL Server (1 Viewer)

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:33
I want to share the backend of my database with 3 different offices in 3 different cities so I'm going with an online solution.

The company already has a domain that allows it to host up to 10 mySQL databases. I'm not a big fan of their interface though but I can work with it.

On the other hand, I've been slowly growing a spot in my heart for SQL Server. So I was thinking why not setup an SQL Server and make it online?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

I like the idea of having all the data stored on a local server vs it being somewhere in the North Pole, but apart from that, what other criteria should I consider?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:33
Just one question... are you going to host the server?

You can't just *make it online*. Not as simple as that, though it is simple. They already have one hosted, so why not take advantage of that?

G37Sam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:33
Just one question... are you going to host the server?

That is the plan

You can't just *make it online*. Not as simple as that, though it is simple.

It's not, but I've been reading about it, involves something to do with APACHE

They already have one hosted, so why not take advantage of that?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post, the one hosted was purchased online from a webhosting company, I'm looking into hosting an SQL Server locally

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:33
Oh, well then have at... I did miss that. Okay, for me it would be...

1. Monitoring
2. Dedicated machine
3. Bandwith (Make sure you can increase yours or upgrade to Business Class) or your local ISP might have a problem with you.
4. Back-up plan (Machine dies)
5. Insurance (In case you get hacked or your machine crashes and you lose their data because it is THEIR data)

That's all that comes to mind right away.

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:33
Gosh, why not just pay the $7.00 a month for someone else to host it? There are plenty of places that will host your SQL Server DB in that ballpark.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 11:33
Just to be clear -

There is NO need to involve an Apache and/or IIS web server at all to have a server available online. Any RDBMS (e.g. either SQL Server or MySQL) can be shared with others with an appropriately configured firewall & TCP/IP protocol.

Furthermore, be aware that hosting your own web server is quite risky venture and significantly complicates the network security. If you can just open a port for the world to connect, you would find it that much simpler (but not risk-free, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom