Weird Problem (to me anyway) (1 Viewer)

Dangerous

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
I created a database a while back, not needed to use it for a while.

It worked really well but for some reason if I run the database and go to the main data entry page I use and click on one of the predefined search buttons,
or the goto last/first record buttons Access will cease to respond and close.

If I go in to design mode select one of the 'on click' function buttons and view the function then exit back to FORM VIEW everything works correctly.

I also have two controls that I can click an add file/image button which will pull up a file load box targeted on a specific directory on the hard drive so I can select the correct file to load. That does not work either, Access crashes.

I have ran compact & repair with no improvement.

PROBLEM FIXED BUT WHY?????????

Before going to far in to looking for the problem I moved some files in to a sub directory and changed the target for that file type to look in the sub dir.
It now works perfectly

Any Ideas what haD gone wrong, how I fixed it and how to atop it happening again?

Windows 10, Access 2007

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:17
When weird stuff happens, the usual suspect is corruption. Try exporting all your db objects into a new Access file.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:17
Yes, corruption of table indicies could cause the behaviour observed and a Compact&Repair would fix that.

Always keep backup copies though.

And for major problems, I prefer to import, rather than export, into a new database file, everything in the misbehaving db.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:17
Yes, corruption of table indicies could cause the behaviour observed and a Compact&Repair would fix that.

And for major problems, I prefer to import, rather than export, into a new database file, everything in the misbehaving db.
Import vs Export. Yeah, that might be a better approach. Thanks!

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:17

Agree 100% with all that.

Sometimes I have found "import" will get hung up on an object like a Form.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:17
You created a DB a while back, left it alone, and went back to it. In the time that it was left alone, did you upgrade to a newer version of Access? Because if you did, your references changed and some parts of Access became "pickier" about some things. By revisiting and recompiling the code, you might have forced it to resolve whatever issues were triggered by a version change.

Dangerous

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:17
You created a DB a while back, left it alone, and went back to it. In the time that it was left alone, did you upgrade to a newer version of Access? Because if you did, your references changed and some parts of Access became "pickier" about some things. By revisiting and recompiling the code, you might have forced it to resolve whatever issues were triggered by a version change.

I had used it many times but then had no call to. That was maybe 3 months ago. I have no need to upgrade Access as this does all I need. DB isn't coded very well, I'm new to it but it worked.

Windows 10 etc goes through the normal MS updates. I can only assume that doing the minor alteration to the EVENT code did force it to resolve the issue although I did do a resave prior to that. It only happened on the one form, all the others did seem to work as they should,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom