Access 2003 to Access 97 VBA changes (1 Viewer)

nahc

Local time
Today, 17:22
Is there a list or something of all the changes from VBA in Access 97 to Access 2003? I want to downconvert my Access 2003 project down to Access 97 (for my own silly reasons) I'm running into all sorts of errors with my converted database forms. If the list has workarounds for A-97 that would be even better.

AccessMSSQL

Seasoned Programmer-ette
Local time
Today, 14:22
What are some of the errors you are seeing? Have you checked your references for missing references?

nahc

Local time
Thanks for your reply AccessMSSQL. I'm not sure, but I did try to correct the references. Here's a sample. It comes from the switchboard that comes with Access 2003 (or maybe XP):

Method or data member not found
to this line of code below:
Set con = Application.CurrentProject.Connection

when I checked the object explorer, it was indeed not there. But I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in A97. :eek:

Last edited:

AccessMSSQL

Seasoned Programmer-ette
Local time
Today, 14:22
'you can try changing it to this:
set con = currentdb.connection

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:22
The Connection property applies to ADO not DAO.

From A97 to A2000, Microsoft tried to introduce ADO as the default. To do so they removed the DAO reference and replaced it with the ADO reference. So, for versions A2000 and A2002 Access had the ADO reference. However, in A2003 Microsoft switched back to DAO as the default and added the DAO reference at a higher priority than the ADO reference.

The A2003 Switchboard is running ADO code but is declaring its variables as Objects in order to prevent contention with the declared DAO reference at the higher priority.

A97 does not support ADO so the reference to ADO will need to be removed and the ADO code, used to open recordsets for the Switchboard, will need to be re-written for DAO. If you do re-write it for DAO then keep the A97 copy as the master and convert it back to A2003.

Hopefully, if there are any more recordset operations in the database, they will have been written using DAO. But who knows?

Chris.

nahc

Local time
Thanks Chris, that sheds some light on things. I will work on converting the code to DAO, and remove the ADO library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom