Split Database Got me Boatload if Issues (1 Viewer)

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:02
Hi All,

I thought I was done with my application. It was split, encrypted, locked down, nice and tight. I opened my development copy and made some minor updates to a formula (no changes to databases or anything) and also added some text labels on a form or two. So I moved my dev copy (UI and Backend) to my test folder and went to the Linked table manager to update the links. I am getting inundated with "The Microsoft engine could not find the object 'Ent' (or in other cases 'Con' or some other item that means very little to me). Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly. If it is not a local object, check your network connection or contact the server admin.

I am at my wits end. How am I supposed to convince someone else to use access if I can't use it. I did nothing to the tables. I went back to my older version on an offline storage device and was able to update the links on that copy once. And then tried it again, and started getting the same messages. I am using windows 8 (new version of access, etc).

What really boggles my mind is that I am browsing to the tables to link to, I am not spelling anything.

What am I supposed to do with this? Have you experienced this before? MIcrosofts site had very little info on it.

Thanks in advance,

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:02
Not sure if this is relevant BUT do you have more than one BE connected to your FE. If you do, then when linking the tables, make sure you select the tables for one BE at a time. If you select them all at once, it gets confused and will try to link them one at a time.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
I do, but they are in separate folders. I need a separate backend for the development work, at least I think I do. That said, I started going through them one at a time, and that's when I noticed that it wasn't just one table (the mass update always said the same error about 10 tables into it) but there are about 5-10 tables with this issue. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I don't even understand the message - is it something in my front end that is missing or something in the back end. If front end, is it in the table replica or in the code? The message is not very useful.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Well stop the press, I did find an answer out there (thank God for the web). When this happens, delete the tables in the front end, and recreate the links from the beginning and it works fine. PHewwwwwwww!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom