Missing Objects, sort of (1 Viewer)

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:21
Hi,

I am sure some of you have seen the warning message, The Microsoft Access Database Engine could not find the object '', make sure it is spelled correctly, et al.

I have 9 tables that present this message when I try to update the linked table manager. The issue I am having is that the object that access cannot find, is a misnomer. That is, it cannot find 'Dog', but all I have is 'Dogs' anyway. Any idea how to fix it? I looked at the sql for the lookup fields in these tables and it appears fine, so either there is a corrupt query behind a report of form, or a corrupt system file is my hunch, but I really don't know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
So as to make sure I understand this, this article implies that if I have a lookup field based on a query, and a filter was created for the query using the Criteria option in the Query design view, and the criteria applied is the current value on that same form (e.g., month), the filter will not recalculate when I create a new record with a different month? If that is the case, then what is the point of using Access in the first place? The query wizards are convenient, but according to this article, If I understand it correctly, Access is a faulty product. It creates the illusion that you can build a criteria that is from a form, when that is not true. Maybe I misunderstood. I have not encountered issues using the criteria builder thus far, not have I experienced issues with queries written in modules.

Would love to know if criteria builders are a waste of time.

In addition, if anyone knows the answer to my original question, that would be super.

King Kreglo

Registered User.
Local time
Hi there! Not sure what your SQL statement looks like but you'll have to add With clause into the mix!
Here's a link regarding 'With Clause's' if you need it:
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175972.aspx

Sorry it's not a hyperlink, not enough posts yet!

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the tips. I looked at the articles and the issue I am having seems to be different. For some reason, when I try to update links on certain tables, I get the error message that the engine could not find the object. The object not being found is just a truncation of an actual object. I searched all my queries, code, criteria, and tables related to these objects and found no matching objects. For example, I have Entity, it says it cannot find EntityC. I have no entity C. Still, I cannot update the table. My front end and back end are on the same computer. So there is no network connection issue. Has anyone else encountered this?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:21
Per chance do you *Track Autoname Correct* checked under Options? Make a back-up, just in case, uncheck it, run Compact & Repair and see if that helps/

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
I did have it on. So I unchecked, compact/rep'd the front end and back end and unfortunately, the issue persists. Thanks for the suggestion.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, let's do this... create a new database making sure to uncheck the above and Compact on Close, then import all your Objects into the new database and let's see if the problem goes away.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
I can try that tomorrow Gina, thanks for the tip. The strange thing is that the system is working as expected from one end to the other, and I do not have any issues deleting and restoring the tables. So, my hunch is that the issue is in a report query or something, but when inspect them, they look fine too and as I said, functioning as intended. I will update when I have tried.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, I'm hoping the *invisible* Object doesn't transfer :D and all will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom