Using dynamic crosstab queries in forms (1 Viewer)

areefer

Local time
Today, 08:19
Hi I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Access

I am building a database which tracks tasks assigned to employees. I want to have one of my forms displaying a view which shows at a glance which tasks are assigned to whom at what times of the day, with a click opening a task for editing. My current attempt is to create a crosstab query with the employees as the column headings (a ‘dynamic crosstab’ query) and a table of time values for the hours of the day providing the row headings, with the task as the value. I then created a form based on the query with Datasheet view as the default view (apparently necessary to set properties/event handlers to query values. I got the idea from the Northwind sample database) However, the form fields do not update to reflect changes to the employee list and therefore the onClick handlers are not applied to newly added employees. What to do, besides for programmatically setting the event handlers (a messy job which I at present have not succeeded in doing)? Or is there a different way I should be going about doing this?

Thanx in advance.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since the time headings are 'fixed' why not make these your column headings and the employee names the row headings?

areefer

Local time
Thanks for your reply.

I could do as you suggest, but that’s not really the presentation I’m looking for. Tasks typically span several hours and it's more intuitive and space-efficient to stack the entries vertically than to spread them horizontally, but if anyone knows a way of ‘rotating’ a table – switching the columns for the rows (retaining the formatting and events) that would also help.

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree with crosstabs. Does anyone know of any other way I can get such a ‘calendar’ type view?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom