SSRS V Access (1 Viewer)

ECEK

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:04
Just a simple question really.
I am very proficient with automating reports with Access (either stand alone or linkking into a SQL server database)

I am looking for a new job and all of the positions are SSRS. How far off am I in being able to apply for thses positions?
Should I apply for the jobs?
How dificult would it be to "step-up" (if that's the right phrase?) to reporting in SSRS.
I am familiar with the concepts of relational databases just no idea about SQL.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:04
Just a simple question really.
I am very proficient with automating reports with Access (either stand alone or linkking into a SQL server database)

I am looking for a new job and all of the positions are SSRS. How far off am I in being able to apply for thses positions?
Should I apply for the jobs?
How dificult would it be to "step-up" (if that's the right phrase?) to reporting in SSRS.
I am familiar with the concepts of relational databases just no idea about SQL.

You maybe using terminology that I not totally correct. e.g. The word SQL.

I use Access Front and Back ends and also MySQL when writing a Database for a web site.

SQL Stands for Structured Query Language. So a lot of these things are similar and talk to each other.

Access will talk to SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL plus a variety of others.

Based upon what you say I would suggest you download a trial version of whatever product you want. Then set it up and just give it a go.

I think you can work it out from there.

ECEK

Registered User.
Local time
I guess Im just trying to find out if I can apply for jobs that stipulate SSRS and just do the required reporting in Access ?

ButtonMoon

Registered User.
Local time
I guess Im just trying to find out if I can apply for jobs that stipulate SSRS and just do the required reporting in Access ?

SSRS means SQL Server Reporting Services, which is the reporting component of Microsoft SQL Server. It isn't difficult to master the basics of SSRS, so as Rain suggests you could install it and start to teach yourself or learn from a book. If you've used other reporting tools then you shouldn't have too much trouble learning SSRS.

If the job stipulates SSRS I wouldn't assume Access was a suitable alternative. SSRS is a server product, unlike Access. It is integrated with the Microsoft server stack in several ways and it isn't possible to migrate reports between Access and SSRS.

Some knowledge of SQL is likely to be important though. You ought to be familiar with writing SQL queries if you are going to use SSRS for anything more than fairly basic kinds of reporting.

ECEK

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks people. I'll take your advice. I can create queries that will make your eyes water in access I just don't do SQL.

Back to school me thinks !!

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:04
Best of luck with your future endeavors.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
The basics of table design, then views, stored procedures, functions etc hopefully you are familiar with having used SQL back ends. I would say most of the work of any reporting goes in to these parts.

Then -

I spent a few weeks learning how to move my reports to from access to SSRS - - that all it took me, to understand the formatting of reports in SSRS.

Of course I maybe haven't really started on the other stuff that's available in SSRS that isn't in access. I wont know till I make the jump to somewhere which considers themselves expert in SSRS.

But really they report just displays the data. Then delivers it somehow.

Let me know how you get on, I am on the same path somewhat. Have worked with SQL for 10 years though, as the main db.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 18:04
I had an opportunity to use SSRS. The question is how complicated do they need to be?
While some of the concepts are the same as Access Reporting, the devil is in the details.
There are several companies that sit up Virtual Servers with specific lessons that build on each other for SSRS.
I feel the interactive hands-on would be extremely useful.

One of my SQL guru (not just good, famous) had a close friend who was decent with building queries on SQL Server. She spent some weeks and learned SSRS. Won't pretend to be a guru, just able to put stuff together. She had no end of consultant work over the last decade.
That is not a statistical sample to count on.

I just accessed Robert Half International 2014 Salary Guide. The Data Analyst/Report Writer job description (140 worde)includes understanding the data and assembling it into reports. It ranges from $67K to $101K and increased 5.3% increase in salary.
Most SQL Server DB Managers, analyst and administrators range from $92K to $153K to give you an idea. So, this is not the top. Down with a web designer range.

My guess is that it would be a great and quick entry point to get into SQL Server.
But, I wouldn't expect you to get through a job interview with out at least 40 hours of solid hand-on training.
In addition, you probably want a solid day on Share Point training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom