Error 2293 when using SendObject after MS Office security update (1 Viewer)

dmsmythe

Local time
Yesterday, 22:19
Using Access VBA (MS Office Pro 2010) on 3 separate computers, all on Windows 10 with Auto Update turned on for both Windows and MS Office. Starting today, 2 of the computers started returning Error 2293 when using SendObject to attach a generated PDF to the email. The third computer does not show this error, and sends the email successfully with the attachment after displaying the draft Outlook email.

All three received Outlook 2010 Security Patch (KB4011273) today along with the other MS Office patches.

2 of the Outlooks are tied to the same email account, but only one of them is showing the error when sending. The third PC's Outlook is tied to a different email account, but also encounters the error.

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, "rInvoiceSE", acFormatPDF, tEmail, tCCEmail, , tSubject, tEmailBody, True

Sending an email from the Access app with no attachment (code below) does not encounter the same problem. The email displays correctly as a draft, then is sent when user clicks on Send.

With Email
.HTMLBody = tEmailBody
.Subject = tSubject
.To = tEmail 'recipient
.CC = tCCEmail ' office copy
'use this if you want to generate the message and show it to the user
.Display
'use this instead if you want the mail to be sent directly
' .Send

All 3 PCs have the same set of Access VBA Tool References, including the Microsoft Outlook 14.0 Object Library.

The VB scripts have been running successfully for over 3 years until today, so my suspicion is on the patch, but don't see any Settings differences between the 3 Outlook accounts.

Any suggestions where else to look for the possible cause?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:19
One issue that comes up sending mail on a somewhat secured network is if you have a strict internal security router, you have to be in its list of users allowed to send mail.

I ran into this using CDO to generate an SMTP outbound mail message. In our intranet, there had to be an entry for <MSACCESS.EXE, my machine name, my domain login, the machine name of the SMTP gateway.> This quadruple entry allowed me to send SMTP from my Win7 to a designated gateway server.

Check with your domain admin to see if you are running into this. With a specific question, they can check their logs easily and tell you whether it is or is not happening.

If this isn't your problem, I'd have to think a bit more.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
What is the error description? You have only given us the number...or did I miss it somewhere?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
@dmsmythe

I'd suggest trying to generate the file in your code and then attaching it to your email to try to narrow down the problem area.

@Mark
? error(2293)

gives

Code:
Application-defined or object-defined error

ie something outside of Access

dmsmythe

Local time
Thanks for the questions and observations. Responses to each:

1) "Error 2293 - Customer Orders can't send this email message". Note: Customer Orders is the front-end Access Database executing the VBA.

2) None of the PCs use a local mail server. PC1 and PC2 use GSuite Sync for MS Outlook v4.0.9.0 to connect directly to the same Google account. The only difference in setup is that the Backend database is located and shared from PC2, which does not encounter the Error 2293 when sending.

3) I'm going to try the suggestion of creating the attachment separately then attaching it separately to see if that sidesteps the error.

Thanks!

dmsmythe

Local time
? error(2293)
gives
Code:
Application-defined or object-defined error

ie something outside of Access[/QUOTE]

This is my thought as well. My suspicions are the MS Outlook 14.0 Object Library may have become outdated with the recent security patches.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:19
My suspicions are the MS Outlook 14.0 Object Library may have become outdated with the recent security patches.

Technically (and this IS hair-splitting), this cannot happen. The only way for a library to become outdated is to install the next higher product version.

The only difference in setup is that the Backend database is located and shared from PC2, which does not encounter the Error 2293 when sending.

This is a significant finding. It tells you that something you are trying to do doesn't work when you try to cross the network.

The third PC's Outlook is tied to a different email account, but also encounters the error.

At first blush, I would ask if the user in question on PC2 is visible as a domain-level user to the other two PCs. This almost looks like you are having issues with user permissions.

If you can do it on PC2 then forget about the code being wrong. PC1 can't do it. PC3 (with a different username) can't do it. So... is the username on PC2 local to that PC or is it part of a domain user set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom