flats renting database (1 Viewer)

afan

Local time
Today, 23:16
Dear All, i work in a real estate company in UAE. i want to make a database where we rent out flats owned by different people on commission basis. owner gives buildings under our administration containing number of flats. we rent out on his behalf earning commission. i know ms access but i am unable to make structure for this purpose. please help me.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:16
Hi. See if you could start out here. Good luck!

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
For myself, the first question would be "What does your company need reported"? Start finding out what you need to be able to support FIRST

Next, start looking at how you actually do business now. You will discover there are many things done that are not reflected in what your company needs reports on. This could be as simple as "Where do we keep master keys" and "Who has access to master keys".

Then look at what theDBGuy has kindly provided and start matching up your requirements to what is shown. His example is a very good starting point, but if you discover you need to track vendors for specific issues and tie them to service calls at given flats, you will need to expand from this starting point. Likewise you may discover some of the tables are not required for your specific needs.

Once you have a fair specification for what your system needs to DO, and you have a good example of one way to do it, you can work out how your systems data needs to be laid out.

afan

Local time
we need below:
flat vise report
tenant vise report
building vise report
periodic rent received
owner vise rent to be paid to owner

your help will be highly appreciated

Mark_

Local time
OK, lets start with the first.

For the "Flat Vise" report, what data would need to be displayed? This will help you identify fields what will need to be in tables, indexes that will need to be in tables, and some of the relationships required.

I would suggest using a blank piece of paper and doing a quick sample of what your company is looking for, including what header(s) and footer(s) will be required, what total values may be requested, and how the report needs to be limited.

I am guessing this will probably be an one to two hour discussion that will lead to a few items being decided. You will then get to do the same for the other reports. Each one should help define what date will be stored where, thus helping you define your fields, your tables, and the relations you will need to support your reporting.

I would highly suggest printing out the sample theDBGuy posted so you have an idea of how one system was set up. This will give you some ideas of how you need to set up your table relations as well as where you want to store different data.

Initial system specification normally takes several days (or weeks) for relatively simple systems. This should get you asking a lot of questions regarding how some things can/should be done. Hopefully your questions start becoming "What data will I need to support X/Y/Z" or "How can I allow users to do X and what data will I need to support it".

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:16
Mark, before deciding on fields, I'd say the first thing is to decide the objects (or entities) that are required. Each entity will have its own table in the universe our database is modelling.

In OP's case, the entities that have been enunciated are
Buildings
Flats
Owners
Tenants
Payments

At this point, I'd be asking for what information needs to be known for each entity eg how many tenant names are required on each lease -just primary or multiple.

Then there are subsidiary tables ie join tables as to which Owners own which flats, Leases (Tenants-Flats) as well as lookup tables.

I agree with you that questions of the client on reporting requirements, will then reveal missing fields from respective tables and maybe missing entities.

afan

Local time
Brothers, how can i submit here the useless effort i have tried using the same entities you mentioned but no use, i am somehow making any major basic mistake.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:16
Hi

Compact the Db first and then Zip it.

Then when you click on the Reply button in the window displayed there is the Attachment Icon (Paperclip).

Click this to display the Manage Attachments window.

Click Choose file - navigate to the zipped Db and select it.

Then Click Upload and then Close the Manage Attachment Window.

Select a blank line and then click the Paperclip Icon and click the zipped file and then Submit reply

Mark_

Local time
Mark, before deciding on fields, I'd say the first thing is to decide the objects (or entities) that are required. Each entity will have its own table in the universe our database is modelling.

One thing I've found doing custom work, often by asking what needs to be "shown / reported" you will get a lot of "X,Y,Z" answers that help identify what the actual tables will be.

Trying to identify all objects first often causes about half the tables to be omitted if your client doesn't understand how to create a database. If you ask what they need to see, you get all kinds of interesting input that allows you, the professional, to identify what those tables should be.

From your own list I'd never have both "Tenant" and "Owner" as separate tables. I would instead have contacts. A contact could be linked to a property as an owner, as a manager, as a tenant, as an emergency contact, as a service representative, or as several of these types. The "Entity" would be a person or business. Their relation to a given piece of property is time dependent, so they should be linked to a property based on their relation at that time.

By asking for what should be on reports, afan will see that the list of "Tenants" and the list of "Owners" will have redundant data. This will allow them to evaluate what is required by the client and work out how to model it in their data structure.

I've never had a client come up to me with enough knowledge of data structures to actually specify how data should be stored, but they will always know what results they need to be able to pull.

And then they decide they need entirely new outputs and wonder why the program didn't anticipate their needs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom