Mail Merge from an SQL server database (1 Viewer)

tigernick

Local time
Today, 14:46
Hi,

I have a contacts database sitting in SQL server that i would like to mail merge to send letters out etc. I use a combination of an Access front-end with an SQL databse that keeps the tables and records. The access and sql tables are linked by an ODBC data source connection.

The whole process works fine until I try and mail merge in MS word. When trying to retrieve data from the sql tables through the mail merge wizard i am prompted to use the same odbc data source connection to find the data, at which point word goes away and comes back with nothing.

If anyone has any ideas or has succesfully used this process I would be interested to know how??

Thanks

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 14:46
Hi there

I tried this and got the same result, I think you need to specify a query in someway.

try this...

create a new excel document and go to import data and select new database query, create your query and check the results in excel.

Now go to the MS word mail merge wizard and now you should be able to select that query as your DSN for the mail merge

Geoff Convery

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:46
Easier than that, try creating a query in the Access front end and using that as the source for the MailMerge (specify the Access DB as the source and then select the query from it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom