Access Front End Locking (1 Viewer)

BillD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:01
I am experimenting with an Access Front End and an SQL Server Back End with Linked Tables. I set up SQL Server 2005 Express on my desktop PC and used SSMA to transfer the tables and some queries to SQL Server. The tables are linked to the Access 2000 Front End. Everything was working fine but when I close the Access .mdb Front End file, I sometimes cannot reopen the Access File. The Access Lock File.9.ldb stays open and does not close when I have closed the Access File. I am unable to reopen the Access .mdb file. I cannot delete the .mdb file or the .ldb file. I get a message that I "Cannot delete" "There has been a sharing violation. Source or destination file may be in use." I can reboot the computer and then reopen the file and it will then close correctly.
Does anyone know what I can do to correct this problem?

Bill D

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 22:01
Hi there,

Is there security on this .mdb?

BillD

Registered User.
Local time
There is no security on the front end Access 2000 database.
After more testing, the problem seem to happen when I add call info into the calls sub-form on the main data entry form. I will note here that I have copied the front end to another computer on my home network. The access front end works fine on this computer. Does not lock up after many entries to the Calls sub-form. Both front ends are connected to the SQL server located on the computer that I am having the problem with. This computer uses Windows 2000 pro. The other computer uses Windows XP Home -Media edition. I will continue to test the Access Front End on the Windows XP computer.

Thanks,
Bill D
New Brunswick, Canada

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 22:01
Hi again,

Ok, I was wondering if any recordsets have been left open when dealing with the subform, that could cause the problems you are experiencing.

You could try setting the main form and subforms datasource to null when the forms are closed.

However it is strange that the XP machine works ok, possibly check that the machines have the same version of MDAC.

BillD

Registered User.
Local time
I will check out your suggestion. Right now, I don't know why the Access Front end is working on the XP machine. I am looking at the Database before I split it and converted the back end to SQL Server 2005 Express. I am looking at the call sub forms. This Access database is having the same problem. I must have changed a text box name or form name somewhere that must be causing the problem.
Thanks again for the advice.
Is there anywhere on this post that I can check that I have received an answer to my problem?

Bill D

BillD

Registered User.
Local time
I checked the MDAC version on the Windows 2000 Pro machine using Comp Checker I downloaded. The version Seems to be almost completely compatible with Version 2.8SP1 on Windows XP SP2.
The Windows XP machine is compatible with Version 2.8 on Windows XP SP2.

Could this be a problem? How would I delete the current version and install a different version on the Windows 2000 Pro machine?

I will go to the internet to read up on this.

I have tried and tried to get the calls input working on this machine but to date with no success.

Thanks again, beaucoup
Bill D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom