Data Manipulation In A Table (1 Viewer)

jwleonard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:40
I would like to know if it is possible to edit database tables in SQL 2005 directly. I am decent at Access databases and can work my way through VBA & SQL in that environment; I have absolutely no experience with SQL on a server though. I attempted to open the UI of SQL Server 2005 today and expected to be able to manually edit some table data. To my surprise (well not really) the only way I found to interact with data was through queries.
The database has some corruption happening and I am trying to go in to delete some orphan records plus clean up a few other issues. The front end is completely locked down and has no advanced maintenance type of interface. Plus it is so buggy it most likely wouldn't work anyway! I would like a way to go in and examine the data in the tables to get a better idea of how things are put together. Is it possible and if so what tools/software would I need?

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
Query Analyser is the standard SQL Server tool for this sort of thing, you could use Access at a pinch if you link to the table on the server.

At a risk of stating the obvious, if you're using windows auth on the server you need to make sure you have the necessary rights in the database to query the tables or views concerned or have access to a local db server account with the necessary permissions.

jwleonard

Registered User.
Local time
How would I link to the SQL database with Access? I know how to link an Access front end and back end, but I'm not sure how to do it in this situation. I would prefer to do it in Access since I am familiar with it. Lastly is there a quick tutorial somewhere for direct manipulation of the data in the Query Analyzer that you can recommend?

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Hey,

It is possible to update tables in SQL management studio, without using a query tool. Is it possible that your tables dont have primary keys on them thats why you cant update?

jwleonard

Registered User.
Local time
There are primary keys in the tables, they showed up when I drag a table in to build a query. How can you update tables in the management studio without building a query? As I said before I am completely new to this environment.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Right click on the table in management studio and press 'open table'

jwleonard

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the tip, I was double clicking thinking that should open the table. The simplest things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom