WANTED: Old Access 95 file with password (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:50
I wrote the following as part of a response about Access security in another thread earlier today. https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=301858

So it doesn't get lost, I'm re-posting it here.

A request to anyone who can help:
I would like to use a text editor to view an old JET 3 MDB file with a password that was created in Access 95 or earlier.
If anyone has something non confidential I can use, please could you zip and post it here or email it using the link in my signature line.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Many thanks to esjaye who responded to this request.

For info, I've since downloaded old copies of Access 2.0, 95, 97 & 2000 from an 'abandonware' site and have installed each of these to a separate virtual machine for testing purposes.

This has allowed me to create old MDB test files with varying degrees of 'protection' - database password, user level security & encryption - so I can then test how easy they are to crack compared to later MDB files (2003) & ACCDB files.

The simple answer is VERY EASY - particularly Access 2.0 & 95 files though 97 file format isn't much harder

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What is interesting is the demo and explanation on Wayne Phillips "everythingaccess" site regarding his "code protector"

Basically an mde/accde leaves enough stuff behind that a decompiler can bascially recover the original code. What his solution does (in simple terms) is remove all application wide constant names, so that when they get decompiled instead of your original variable names, they recover as variablel1, variable2, etc., which is a lot harder to use/abuse

Worth a look.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Dave
Yes I've downloaded & tried that utility from Wayne Phillips site www.everythingaccess.com. The results are indeed interesting

For example: https://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=Jet-MDB-security---under-the-hood

For anyone unfamiliar with the site there are lots of very useful utilities (some free) & MANY useful articles about Access security and other topics

====================================================

UPDATE
With one exception, I now have ALL versions of Access from Access 2.0 through to 2016 except 2000 as part of my research into Access security in different versions. In fact I actually have Access 1.0 as well on floppy disk images (but no floppy drive!)

The exception is Access 2000. The download failed & I have long ago thrown away my copy & licence key.

If anyone has an old copy of Office 2000 Pro or just Access 2000 that could be uploaded as a zipped ISO file, I would be very grateful if you could contact me by email using the link below
Many thanks

ypma

Registered User.
Local time
Colin, I have a cd " Running Microsoft Access 20000 Pt No 0970002173 for windows NT/98 if this would be of use I will try and zip it and send to you.

Bob

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Is that the MS Access software or a training CD in using it?

I'm not interested if its just a training CD.
However if its the original MS Access software, that would indeed be much appreciated.
If so, please email me using the link below, I will create a shared Dropbox folder for you to use for uploading

Thanks in advance

UPDATE
I've just found the Running Access 2000 book by John Viescas and that exact CD on my bookshelf.
I haven't looked at either for years but never disposed of them
Why on earth I threw away Office 2000 CD I don't know but that's what I actually want (or just access 2000)

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I still have 3.5" floppy drives in my computers.
Might even have a 5.25 in the loft somewhere as well. :D

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Even I do not have Win 3.1 or 3.11 anymore. :D
It was just in case you wanted them.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I think I do have a geriatric copy somewhere!
Having looked at all the other versions, it would be quite interesting to see v1.0 as well. I'll contact you via email

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom