Can I use element in a field as field name in another table? (1 Viewer)

mdpepper1

Local time
Today, 17:10
I am an IT placement student working for a wildlife charity for one year.

I have a table of 20 species. Each row contains some information on a single species. I want to add functionality to add a new species. That is easy.

I have another table which is for the legislations that apply to each species. Each species is used as a field name in the legislation table and there either exists a 'Y' in its cell relevant to each legislation, or a null.

Can I write code/create a macro or expression to add a new species to the species table, which will automatically generate a new column in the legislation table, and also to generate a new field in the 'add legislation' form?

If this is possible, can someone give me a few pointers on how to achieve it?

Thanks,
David

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 10:10
You should not be using COLUMNS in the legislation table. You would use ROWS of data, not columns. I believe your table structure needs to be normalized. (See here for more about normalization)

mdpepper1

Local time
You should not be using COLUMNS in the legislation table. You would use ROWS of data, not columns. I believe your table structure needs to be normalized.

Thank you for your reply. I have researched this since I have posted and I absolutely concur. I am still in the process of learning about how to tie this whole database thing together and this is one of the most important lessons I have learnt. Again, thanks for taking the time to get back to me, and rest assured, I will restructure the crap outta my tables.

Dave

mdpepper1

Local time
Ok, I have fixed my table structure. I am now having trouble with populating my form.

I want to add a species, then have a list of check boxes of the existing pieces of legislation in the legislation table.

Is this the process I should undertake:

1. create form

2. add facility to add species

4. have a button that when there's an onclick event run a query to obtain all pieces of legislation in the legislation table

5. use result from query to create a list of check boxes on the form

6. add button to add the boxes that have been ticked.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom