Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Reference > Code Repository

Old 11-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,494 Times in 3,381 Posts
CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice CJ_London is just really nice
Re: Mythbusters - Speed Comparison Tests - Having vs Where

Hi Colin,

Sorry, wasn't very clear - what I meant was

Code:
SELECT DISTINCT Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
FROM Postcodes

versus

Code:
SELECT Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
FROM Postcodes
GROUP BY Postcodes.PostcodeArea, Postcodes.PostcodeDistrict, Postcodes.PostcodeSector
Quote:
What I need to study is why both versions repeatedly scan a table (tblKickout) that is nothing to do with the query
But that's a job for another day .. unless either of you can enlighten me!
just a guess but is there a relationship between tblKickout and postcodes?

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #17
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,492 Times in 2,288 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: Mythbusters - Speed Comparison Tests - Having vs Where

Hi CJ

There is no relationship between Postcodes & tblKickout
The Postcodes tables was a linked table from my UK Postal Addresses app which includes a forced closedown procedure. Every 30s, that app checks the status of a boolean field in tblKickout and shuts down if its true.
I just didn't expect that to be included in the ShowPlan as I didn't link that table
I assume its included as its being checked in the background all the time

To avoid complications, I'll use a local table this time (tblPatients from the Having vs Where test)

Query1
Code:
SELECT DISTINCT tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB
FROM tblPatients;
ShowPlan1
Quote:
--- Query1 ---

- Inputs to Query -
Table 'tblPatients'
- End inputs to Query -

store result in temporary table
Query2
Code:
SELECT tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB
FROM tblPatients
GROUP BY tblPatients.Surname, tblPatients.Forename, tblPatients.Gender, tblPatients.DOB;
ShowPlan2
Quote:
--- Query2 ---

- Inputs to Query -
Table 'tblPatients'
- End inputs to Query -

01) Group table 'tblPatients'
Not sure that tells you anything unexpected...
As you would expect, both give the same output of 3338 records

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 11-04-2018 at 07:46 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
having/where , speed tests

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: