WiFi repeater (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:32
Wifi repeaters are handy if you have a big house.
Not sure what they are talking about 'splitting the channels'
The channel of the wifi/? AFAIWA you only use one channel.?

Here in the UK we have mains adapters that transmist the ethernet through the mains wiring, then you just use another wifi router or switch at the other end.

I would always use wired over wifi unless I have no choice.

Before the ethernet mains adapters, I used to have a router upstairs wirelessly bridged to a router downstairs for the same effect.

No matter how you connect, it all goes out via the same modem/router.?

Eg My ISP supplied modem router would not allow voip, so I have my own router that is connected to theirs, but theirs just acts a an old fashioned modem by being in modem mode. All the networking is done by my router.

That way I still get voip.

So I would take the 'combining channels' with a pinch of salt.?

Edit:
If you check availability, it is of course available, at 50% discount right now but might be stopped anytime.? All highly suspect to me.
Not even sure you would be allowed to advertise like that in the UK.

https://greathometips.com/home/wifi-aol.php?affId=0880BBF4&c1=us&c2=wifi_dl3_concept1

It's nice to have such a large group of people so willing to help.

Is the above product a real deal, or a rip off gimmick.

If you have good or bad experience please let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 09:32
Wifi routers are handy if you have a big house.
Not sure what they are talking about 'splitting the channels'
The channel of the wifi/? AFAIWA you only use one channel.?

Here in the UK we have mains adapters that transmist the ethernet through the mains wiring, then you just use another wifi router or switch at the other end.

I would always use wired over wifi unless I have no choice.

Before the ethernet mains adapters, I used to have a router upstairs wirelessly bridged to a router downstairs for the same effect.

No matter how you connect, it all goes out via the same modem/router.?

Eg My ISP supplied modem router would not allow voip, so I have my own router that is connected to theirs, but theirs just acts a an old fashioned modem by being in modem mode. All the networking is done by my router.

That way I still get voip.

So I would take the 'combining channels' with a pinch of salt.?

Thanks for answering. My Verizon MiFi sits 18 inches from my computer and no other room has a computer.

any other comments appreciated

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:32
Agree with Gasman.
Routers do indeed have two different channels. Both will normally be available for use. Some 'connected' devices will use one - other devices will use the other.
AFAIK no devices will use both and I don't see how that would provide a better signal

I've been using powerline adapters for the past 5 years or so to extend my wifi network to all corners of my house and into the garden. They are cheap and work well. Far better than the old wifi extender I used to use
However they do NOT speed up your wifi network and certainly have no effect on your internet speed

theseus

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:32
There are lots of different devices like this on the market. Some are better than others. I personally prefer powerline adapters and older routers to fill in the dead spots but I seem to fry them out after a bit.

Currently I use a 1200AC TPLink repeater that works quite well. The repeaters have to be able to see the signal from your wifi router to be able to "repeat" it. My current repeater out performs the one listed above, at least spec wise.

I think the thing to leery of is when a title says "Goundbreaking...." . Up at the top of the page, it says it is an ad for WifiBlast.

Cubsm22p

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:32
The primary drawback of a wireless repeater is that it effectively halves the bandwidth for any computers connecting to it, rather than the primary router. The reason for this is that the repeater receives the signal, processes the signal (which takes time) and then rebroadcasts the signal – and does this in both directions, from the router to the computer and from the computer to the router.

resource:https://smallbusiness.chron.com/disadvantages-using-repeaters-71848.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom