Updates to front-end and impact with SharePoint tables (1 Viewer)

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:23
Hi, I've developed a database and split it into a front-end and back-end databases. I then from the front-end exported the data to a SharePoint list. The reason for this is that there are three remote locations plus a main-office location for this application. It is my understanding that the front-end, (which grew in size after I exported the back-end tables to SharePoint), actually contains a copy of the tables that are now on SharePoint. If this is correct, my question is when I add functionality to the front-end or fix bugs and distribute a new front-end, the new front-ends tables will be out of sync with the tables in the SharePoint lists, so what happens. I think my hope is that the data from the SharePoint lists are downloaded to the new front-end copy of the tables vs. the new front-end, outdated tables overwriting/updating the SharePoint tables. In the past I always split the database and when I made changes to the front-end, since the tables were linked to the back-end, either on the same local machine or on a server shared folder, things worked great. In this case with SharePoint lists, I just don't have any experience, but I'm sure I'll learn.

Advice?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:23
Hi. You should be fine. Access syncs the data at a regular interval. You can also force a sync manually by right clicking on a linked list and selecting Refresh all Lists.

chuckcoleman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:23
Hey, theDBguy,

I just want to make sure when I give the client a new front-end with, not sure what they are but I'll call them hidden SharePoint tables, the local/front-end tables will be out of date with the SharePoint tables and I want to make sure the SharePoint tables aren't overwritten with old data.

Your thoughts?

Also, do you know where there is some documentation on using Access with SharePoint lists that addresses things like this?

I always appreciate your help.

Chuck

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:23
Hi Chuck. As I was saying earlier, you should be fine. The first thing Access should do when you open the FE is connect to SP and sync the data. I recommend you manually refresh the data just before you deploy it to your users. I’ll to post any links on the subject when I get in the office later.

Sent from phone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom