Attach Word, Excel, PDF, JPEG, etc.. in SQL Server 2008 (1 Viewer)

mikejaytlabustro

Access Database 2007 PH
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:25
Good day!

I 'm using access database as front-end of SQL Server tables and can't find exact solution to my problem on how to attach Word, Excel, PDF, JPEG, etc..

I am partially moving from access to sql server due to data capacity issue.

Thank you!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:25
Good afternoon,

To the best of my knowledge, a third party application called FileStream is the only way to do this with 2008.

This is an excerpt from an e-mail I received from out IT dept when they announced our migration to 2014:

"With SQL 2008, FileStream allowed BLOB storage, but starting with SQL 2012, the FileTable feature built upon FileStream so graphics/files (BLOB) data can be stored separate from the database files themselves.
FileTable info from MS: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sq...ob/filetables-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017"

Last edited:

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 18:25
Hi,

You can use a blob in SQL server using a varbinary data type. However these aren't renowned for good performance.

Or you can use filestream / filetable, but it might not be installed on the SQL server because it isn't one of the default options for install.

https://www.databasejournal.com/fea...oring-Images-and-BLOB-files-in-SQL-Server.htm

The above link is a bit out of date, so if you want something more up to date, then please reply stating which version of SQL server you have.

nfk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:25
Good day!

I 'm using access database as front-end of SQL Server tables and can't find exact solution to my problem on how to attach Word, Excel, PDF, JPEG, etc..

I am partially moving from access to sql server due to data capacity issue.

Thank you!

If it's possible for you to put the files on a file server instead of storing them on the database that that should be the preferred solution. Specially if you're moving because of a data capacity issue, meaning that the db must be large by now. If you absolutely, for whatever reason can't then all bets are off.

Recomended reading: To Blob or not to Blob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom