SQL Server view exported to MS Dynamics CRM cloud? (1 Viewer)

madEG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:33
Hello,

First, I apologize, I don't speak cloud. But I'll do my best
- I'm a database guy who makes Access apps, too...

In short, I have a sql server 2012 view that I need to get to a cloud based MS Dynamics CRM system, so this system can this data as reference data.

In early talks with the developers of this system (consultants) I thought that we agreed that I would export the view's data to a csv, and put (ftp) the file somewhere, and then the CRM folks would wave a magic wand over it, and it would get inserted/update the appropriate data in this new system. (I thought they would give me credentials and an IP address, I would schedule a put of the datafile and walk away...)

Now it seems, per them, that I can't merely ftp the file to somewhere where it can be acted upon, but instead I need to run some sort of a process on my sql server system (or something here on-prem) that will push and insert the data into the cloud based CRM system.

The folks I'm working with say that CRM can't be taught to "look to an area on a schedule and see that a new data file is available, and update/insert the contained records" and I must have a client (of some sorts) present the inserts to the CRM system.

It's almost like they are saying, I can't place the package of M&M candy in the CRM system's pocket for it to eat when it gets hungry, but I must place each piece of candy individually in the system's mouth one at a time - since CRM has no hands.

Ok - that analogy is a bit silly, but that is is my best takeaway.

Can someone help me make heads or tails of this? I'll be happy to read anything I can, but I'm not sure if what I am being told is true, or only true partly... or what. To make it worse, I have effectively zero experience with anything not in my own server room - so cloud based challenges have not been on my radar. I'm pretty ignorant to this challenge.

Thanks so much for a push in the right direction!

If anyone else knows of a better place to ask this - thank you in the advance!!!

-Matt G.

nfk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:33
The folks I'm working with say that CRM can't be taught to "look to an area on a schedule and see that a new data file is available, and update/insert the contained records"

I've done this. Your options, if choose to accept them, are:

1- MERGE REPLICATION!!1! what a dreaded thing to setup. Regardless, I've had two SQL Servers sharing a single table with no issues in the past.

2- The easy way: Use a service provider that can deal with this specific problem. Like who?. F* Skyvia Data Integration Service!

https://skyvia.com/data-integration/

This option is very very easy to setup but unfortunately costs money! There's a free tier but it will only integrate data once a day and like 5000 records a month in total. Still might suit your needs.

Thank me later.

madEG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:33
Thanks buddy! I'll take a look at the skyvia stuff and see what/how it may help...

I'll circle back when I know more!

Thanks again,
-Matt G.

nfk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:33
I'm glad yet another one of my extremely valuable contributions to this forum is gratefully accepted by another member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom