Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Word

Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival
Customizing ribbon and QAT on a shared work computer

At lunchtime, I cover the front desk in my office and log in as myself on the receptionist's computer, taking whatever desk work I can with me.

If I want to replicate some of my custom ribbon features, and Quick Access Toolbar, on her computer, those are user-specific, aren't they? When she comes back and re-logs in, she wouldn't have to put up with my custom additions, would she?

I like big macros and I cannot lie.

kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Customizing ribbon and QAT on a shared work computer

Actually, probably not. Depending on how you're doing the customization. If you're using the menu from the ribbon to "customize" it, then I think it's machine specific. Meaning, after you're done and log out, the next user will still have to contend with your customization.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #3
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival

Hmm, I think I'm going to tread lightly then. I suppose I could just try to work around it, and only temporarily add what I like. Most of the time I'm revising reports someone else has made from a variety of old reports used as templates, and it's mostly small typing revisions, and looking for formatting issues. A big repetitive issue is the outline containing blank lines from a line return, and I've learned having the "classic Styles" dropdown on the QAT is the easiest way to change a line from Level ! to Body Text on the fly. It's simple enough to pop on and off the toolbar, I guess, so I'm not leaving a mess of new gizmos.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Hmm, I think I'm going to tread lightly then. I suppose I could just try to work around it, and only temporarily add what I like. Most of the time I'm revising reports someone else has made from a variety of old reports used as templates, and it's mostly small typing revisions, and looking for formatting issues. A big repetitive issue is the outline containing blank lines from a line return, and I've learned having the "classic Styles" dropdown on the QAT is the easiest way to change a line from Level ! to Body Text on the fly. It's simple enough to pop on and off the toolbar, I guess, so I'm not leaving a mess of new gizmos.
I'll let you know when I get a chance to verify it. Cheers!

|
|
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

It always was user specific IIRC. You could see multiple folder trees per user on a shared computer but if you didn't have the admin capability you couldn't open those folders. Remember "Documents and Settings" folder? One for each user.
You could make a minor change and ask to see the effect when other person is logged in.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
It always was user specific IIRC. You could see multiple folder trees per user on a shared computer but if you didn't have the admin capability you couldn't open those folders. Remember "Documents and Settings" folder? One for each user.
You could make a minor change and ask to see the effect when other person is logged in.
I know that's true about general Windows settings, but not sure how it works within Office toolbars, etc.

I did make some changes to the Building Blocks (added our letterhead headers and second-sheet background under Insert Headers) so that should be a relatively low-impact, and actually helpful, addition. We just don't work side by side a lot so I'll have to hang around when she gets back from lunch or make time.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival

So the answer seems to be, it's user specific.

I got to stretch my legs AND check on it.

Her QAT doesn't reflect the items I added, and her Insert Header doesn't have our letterhead options in it, and she's happy the way it is. I guess I can customize away!

Thanks all! And happy weekend!

Ann

Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
So the answer seems to be, it's user specific.

I got to stretch my legs AND check on it.

Her QAT doesn't reflect the items I added, and her Insert Header doesn't have our letterhead options in it, and she's happy the way it is. I guess I can customize away!

Thanks all! And happy weekend!

Ann
Hi Ann. Thanks for the update. It's very good to know. Cheers!

|
|
Old 05-13-2019, 04:29 AM   #9
kilroyscarnival
Newly Registered User

kilroyscarnival

I should note that this may differ depending on how the overall system is set up, but as long as people have independent user log-ins and separate folders set up, I'm guessing these changes reside somewhere in a file that, along with my individual "normal.dot" template, resides in my user area.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...I'm guessing these changes reside somewhere in a file that, along with my individual "normal.dot" template, resides in my user area.
Pretty sure they are Name.customUI or Name.officeUI where Name is a word related to the application: e.g. Word16.customUI.
Themes and templates are not kept there, but you'd be correct if you move up the folder tree all the way to your account name.

Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Micron For This Useful Post:
kilroyscarnival (05-14-2019)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: