Groundhog Day (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:11
Is Groundhog Day a real public holiday in the US? Or is it a made-up thing by Hollywood.

If it's real, do Americans really believe a small furry animal talks to a man and predicts the weather? In other words, what is the point of it?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:11
Col, in the sense of it being an official "day off from work" holiday, no. However, there IS a weather trend that is celebrated on Groundhog Day. It is the day when you play the odds with weather patterns and predict weather because of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

Then again, Col, sometimes you make a holiday for laughs, not because you believe in a prognosticating member of rodentia. We know it is a ground squirrel or a wood-chuck. We know it is dumber than a box of rocks. We know that Groundhog Day is a silly holiday. But life is too damned short to not laugh now and then just for the sake of it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:11
Without it, we wouldn't have been able to have a that hilarious movie starring Bill Murray.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 02:11
According to the wiki it has roots in German tradition, so maybe just leveraged by Hollywood to make money :)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
According to the wiki it has roots in German tradition, so maybe just leveraged by Hollywood to make money :)

I don't remember Lederhosen featuring prominantly in the movie...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What happens to the little Groundhog after it has spoken the words of wisdom?

I suppose by American standards it it ritually killed as its a living creature, then eaten.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
But life is too damned short to not laugh now and then just for the sake of it.

Laugh? Oh yes I remember. I did that back in the 1970's once. Certainly haven't done it since.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:11
ColinEssex said:
What happens to the little Groundhog after it has spoken the words of wisdom?

So far as I know, he goes back into his cage and gets fed. At least, the "official" groundhog is treated as a pampered pet. Punxatawney Phil is loved too much as a mascot to be sacrificed and eaten. Besides, he's even smaller than a nutria, and only a Cajun would eat a nutria. (Coypu, if your knowledge of rodentiae extends to South American creatures.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom