Strange behavior (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 21:44
Greetings AWF,

I recently returned from France where I used my IPad to keep up with AWF. While I was there, the hotel we stayed at had a less than desirable WiFi service.

So when I got the message (attached) after clicking the New Posts link, I figured it was just a by product of my situation and when I returned home, all would be well.

Not so. And I know it isn’t a forum issue becuase when I use my PC, everything is fine.

Any ideas, other than throw my IPad away?

Attachments

• 4587B434-9DBD-4201-84B8-AD9C862FA374.jpg
    4587B434-9DBD-4201-84B8-AD9C862FA374.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 75

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:44
If it works on a PC but fails on the iPad, I can think of only a couple of possibilities having to do with defaults supplied during a search, or the cookie settings which might be what supplies those defaults. Can you check the cookie behavior settings on that iPad?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No "i" products in my house. Apple makes a conscious decision to be as incompatible as possible with the rest of the world so it can suck you in and make you buy only their products. It was that position that sent them almost to oblivion 20 + years ago until they came out with the iPhone, which was actually a superior product when it was introduced - but not any more.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sad to say it but Pat is right. There was a time when I worked for a company that made dumb and smart terminals. We were going to work with a London company as a sub-contractor to make those terminals compatible with the Motorola 68xx series, which was the first chip on which major Apple product lines were based.

IBM and the other folks who created the PC made it an open-market product. Apple, however, decided to go proprietary, to the point that they weren't even interested in having the UK company pay a licensing fee. For Apple, if they didn't make it (at least back then), they wouldn't let anyone else have even a whiff of profit. That and two other bad marketing decisions pretty much caused my employer to be extremely vulnerable, and two years later we had a "white knight" take-over, though turned out the knight was a little more on the shades of grey side of things. That was also a few years before the time I became a U.S. Dept. of Defense contractor, so we are talking 30+ years ago minimum.

It was a shame, too, because technically speaking, the Motorola chip sets were superior architecturally to the Intel chip sets. (I won't even comment on the TI chip sets.)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
IBM made a similar decision with their version of the PC. They used a different bus (some say superior) but incompatable. Their unwillingness to license the bus, put them out of the PC business. At the time, my company was big blue all the way (you couldn't get fired for choosing a "known" vendor). The problem was that it was the beginning of the era of the desktop PC and companies were in a hardware buying mode. Given that we had a fixed budget, within a year we convinced management that we had to go with the standard PC hardware. We couldn't keep spending $250 each time a user wanted to add a printer to his PC when we could get a similar piece of hardware that let us add TWO printers for $25!!!!!. The biggest hard drive IBM offered was 40 m and that was available only on the top of the line PC. Gateways were standard with 100 m for 1/3 the price.

IBM lost the battle AND the war. If a company couldn't afford the "superior" product, they settled for the generic, works with everything product.

Only people (like my grandaughters), would pay such a premium for a product (I think about 2.5 times what their laptops cost) that is not better than others and is incompatable by design. They started college last September and decided that the laptops I bought them last year (Dells) were not suitable. They had to have macbooks or they'd die. So they spent their own savings on them. Neither their mother (who has gotten remarkably smarter as an adult) nor I would contribute a single penny. They're already sorry they bought the macbooks. All the software they use is Office which is windows based so they can't run it natively, nor can they use the copies they had on their laptops so that was another bundle of money that they had to shell out. They also have trouble with some of the school's websites - that may be because Apple decided to not support flash.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So...if I am understanding you two correctly, turn my IPad into a hi-end cutting board and stick with PC.

I am not a big Apple fan either, I do have an IPad, IMac and we use Apple TV over here becuase my Raspberry Pi (Kodi OS) started acting funky. My wife HATES Apple for all,the same reasons you do.

I myself am able to see you their products work extremely well as long as you stay within the realm THEY envisioned for you. Not a big fan of that mentality but I do see it can have its benefits. The cost is a bit of an annoyance...but...my iMac is 6 years old and still going strong. By comparison, I have had to replace my wife’s laptops three times since then. There are some NASTY viruses in Europe!

Thanks for the input, I will look into the cookie thing- I was not aware the Mac OS used them, stands to reason though.

BTW, I need to update the Win10/ Office 2013 “upgrade” thread. What a sordid tale to tell...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gent, not saying the cookie is a guaranteed thing anyway, but Apple has no choice. For once, they HAVE to do it the way that the protocol standard says to do it; hence, cookies. But you have control over the privacy and security settings, so you get to put your hands on that mess.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
An iPad is a way to get to the internet or play games without lugging around a heavier laptop. There are alternatives that cost significantly less. MS has its own alternative which costs as much or possibly more but at least the Surface is a real computer and not just a web surfer.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Gent, not saying the cookie is a guaranteed thing anyway, but Apple has no choice. For once, they HAVE to do it the way that the protocol standard says to do it; hence, cookies. But you have control over the privacy and security settings, so you get to put your hands on that mess.

Well, it turned out this is exactly what the issue was. Good call!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom